ATI Driver Installation

QzarBaron

I just made an attempt on this...

Freaky how this stuff works... gotta compile everything, and if you don't get it right it ... the it just *sorta* works...

I am running Kernal 2.6.3-7mdk. Got this error message:

*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.

*** WARNING ***

Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.

You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir

and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.

Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'

in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.

(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated

OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.

*** Error: no kernel module build environment - please consult readme.

Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application

===

ATI display drivers successfully installed

please run 'fglrxconfig' now

===

Time to get out to the Barnes N Nobles and get busy learning how to compile. Looks like it might just come in handy... (grin)

Might just have to revisit the NOOB center here and see how to compile a Kustom Kernal.

Oh yah - going to the referenced sub dirs and running the ./make.sh hasn't done a thing for me yet....

Working on it... It wasn't as easy as it looked! (LOL)

You don't really need to have it match your kernel I ran a 2.6.3-7mdk with a 2.6.3-16mdk kernel source.

As for the ATI I have had the same problem but after I fixed that problem, and it tells you on their website steps to fix it, I ran into more errors that not even the website ( ATI ) knew the answer to. So pretty much after I had answered all the questions it asks for installation ( about 40 ) It asked to reboot and when I did it messed up stuff with X.

So this was a while ago when I was a total newbie once I got dumped into console since X could not boot up I got so mad and I didn't know what to do. So I re-installed linux and I remember I insulted the guy who helped me. But then I noticed I had just made me look very very stupid.

So after that I gave up and just less than 4 days a go I compiled my own kernel everything worked great. I compiled the ATI drivers that the kernel uses into the kernel. After that everything else works just great. I went from 640 frames , from now to a staggering 3500 frames. Might seem crappy but I am running a Mobility M6 32mb. So for me it was just the greates thing that I have ever accomplished. And really the only solution that I have see to this.

-Luis