Notebook WPC11 Issues

Guest Psykobrat

rpms that say they're for cooker are FOR COOKER. please do NOT go around advising newbies to install them on stable versions. It only causes grief. If they can't build from source or find RPMs for their version, HELP THEM TO DO THOSE THINGS. Do not use cooker RPMs as a quick fix.

rpms that say they're for cooker are FOR COOKER. please do NOT go around advising newbies to install them on stable versions. It only causes grief. If they can't build from source or find RPMs for their version, HELP THEM TO DO THOSE THINGS. Do not use cooker RPMs as a quick fix.

Having used cooker since pre9.2, I am WELL aware of this. But the RPMS for ndiswrapper are stable and the only way to get the newest, Mandrake compiled, version of this particular RPM is to get it from a cooker source.

I do not generally recommend cooker rpms for anyone; even people that have used Mandrake for years. In this case, though; the RPM has PROVEN to be stable. While it is always good to know how to compile your own programs, it is equally as good to use RPMS for an RPM-based distro.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest safinaaz

I just installed Fedora Core 2 today - new to linux...so i know nothing...learning as i go.

Anyway I cannot seem to get wireless at all on my laptop...

it says failed for eth0 and eth1

I have a toshiba wireless LAN mini PCI card

Intel® PRO/100VE Network connectgion

Do i need some packages or files to install on fc 2...and if so which ones and how do i install them...instruction please...

thanks

• 9 months later...
If you run into any problems, post back.  We'll be happy to help out

Perhaps this really needs to be in the FAQ because, from what I see in the stores, much has changed since August 2004 -- it's almost impossible to buy a WiFi card in 2005 where it is not the RealTek 8180 chipset. Full and ready rtl8180 support must be a high priority for all operating systems.

What's more, I see on the RealTek Drivers Download page that the vendor has released source code for a Fedora Core 3 Linux 2.6.x rtl8180 driver! Do we still need to be fiddling with ndiswrappers? Has anyone released a binary version of this FC3 driver packaged for Mandrake?