Networking win2000 to mandrake10.0

Guest Evo89

I'm trying to do the same thing at home. Hopefully I'll get a chance over the next couple days. On your Linux machine, you have to go to mandrake control center and somewhere in there you have to enable file sharing. Then, of course, you have to share some directories. I'm not sure how long it will take the changes to replicate, but eventually your Windows 2000 machine will see it, but it won't show up in your workgroup. Browse the entire MS network (instead of clicking on computers near me) and you will see something called MDK10 (or something to that effect) listed as a workgroup. Now, in order to see Windows stuff from Mandrake, you have to configure Samba. Maybe someone else can guide you better here, but I just went to Start>internet>filesharing>smb4. I was able to see all of my shared Windows folders and I mounted them to the hard drive. However, once I logged off, logged on, and tried to access the Windows folders through Konqueror, they just showed up as empty directories. A friend told me that this is because you have to configure Samba to remember the sharing. I don't know how that works. I don't know if this helped you at all or not, but there are plenty of people here more knowledgeable than me. B)

Edited by axel_2078

Guest codoblao

I had some problem with evo89, even worst. I even couldn't ping from mandrake to Win2000 or win2000 to mandrake. I already set the IP for mandrake 192.168.0.150/255.255.255.0, the host name is xlinux.family.com and the workgroup/domain is 'family.com'. (the win2000 IP is 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0, name server is 'NS', and domain is 'family.com')

I already configure the SAMBA with the simples configuration. Is there something wrong with my Mandrake IP configuration or there is something else?

Evo89, there is a GUI configuration tool for Samba in the KDE Desktop. I don't remember how it is called. In my case, I had to install it by myself. Just start Rpmdrake and type Samba in the search field. Then look through the results. It is very easy to use you won't have problems with it.

Another tool you can use for network settings is the Gnome System Tools (a collection of tools to manage Linux) after you install the GST go to System -> Configuration -> Networking -> Networking. There, you can setup your hostname, domain name, workgroup, enable windows networking, dns etc.

About your ping problems .... make sure that your network card is setup well and check your setting and stuff.

Can you connect to the Internet from MDK, because I had a similar problem: no network , no internet because of ACPI problems ?