monitors resolution

hopeful

Dear All

I like linux a lot, especially for the net, but the main problem I have found with it is that the clarity of the image on my monitor is not as clear and defined as with Windows. I have a mag monitor and it always looks a bit out of focus, dull, not well defined. Are there things I should be refining in the way of resolutions? My grapfics card is a TNT2. I have tried different resolutions but it makes not difference. Knoppix 3.3 looks pretty clear when run from the CD, but when installed the problem is the same. I think one of the reasons could be that unlike windows word etc there is not well definded white background when using OpenOffice, rather it appears off white. It can be very tiring looking at the screen becasue it is just slightly not quite right, if you know what I mean.

I have tried with the download Nvidia drivers but it does not make a difference, but I have not tried with the latest version.

This is the only real niggle I have with Linux, but I am sure someone has a simple answer.

I am using Mandrake 10 Official. My machine has AMD K2 500Hz, 300 odd ram, Nvidia TNT2 graphic. Mandrake runs my monitor as a Gateway 700 which is the same as with Windows Me.

Yours hopefully

Hopeful

Have you installed the Nvidia drivers yet?

What resolution/megahertz are you running? I have quite a few options to make things a bit clearer.

Have you installed Antialsed fonts? This clears things up some. You can also import the windows fonts.

Hi

I have installed the Nvidia drivers (i think? there is not Nviidia splash screen) but since doing it I have become stuck in init 3. How do I get back to loggining in in init 5? I would like to be able to get back into gnome and windowmaker. I am also getting a lot of crash messages about Kconquer crashing etc.

I am running on 800 600 85hz, using the drivers for a Mag innovision D154, but I am not sure if this is the right model because I cannot find any specs on my Mag innovision monitor.

I have not installed the windows fonts yet. I also cannot check the anti-alias becaseu I have lost the ability to confiigure my desktop. In KDE I changed the menu so the how to's would be in it and since I have lost the ability to configure the desktop, no system in the menu and nothing in the control centre.

It is all a bit of a mess really and I cannot work out if it is due installling the Nvidia drivers or the recent updating and changing of the menu I have done. HELP

yours

Hopeful

As for the menu thing try the command update.menus -v that might help you out there.

As for KDE crashing make sure you have all the official updates. If that doesn't work try switching to MdKDE or to KDE. Makdrake has the normal KDE and a Mandrake KDE. I forget which but one of then always gave me trouble with the newer Nvidia drivers.

It sounds like you don't have the new Nvidia drivers running correctly yet. Make sure you change the configuration file correctly like it says in the readme file that came with the Nvidia drivers.

I don't think the Nvidia drivers are installed either or else you'll be getting the splash screen. Install the drivers, then do startx. Once in a gui, open a console and as root type:

init 5

This will put you back into init 5. As for konqueror crashing, I believe this is a known issue which is corrected by getting the maintanance release of kde which is v 3.2.3.