KDE right click options

chris z

don't know if anybody would be interested in this, or if it's been mentioned before. (if it has, then please delete this post, oh Mod Gods :P )

here's a link to a Tutorial on how to add options to the drop down menu's in KDE when you right click on something. i followed the example they give & it worked like a charm.

following the tutorial mentioned above, i wrote 2 service menu scripts that might be useful for the GUI addicted, lazy folk (like me). feel free to modify them as you wish.

this one will add an "open as root" option under "actions" in the right click drop down menu. no need to go into konqueror superuser mode anymore if ya don't want to, with this.........

[Desktop Entry]
ServiceTypes=inode/directory,inode/directory-locked
Actions=Openassu

[Desktop Action Openassu]
Name=Open as Root
Icon=kfm
Exec=kdesu "konqueror --profile filemanagement %U"

and, this one will add a "run as root" option in the same place...........

[Desktop Entry]
ServiceTypes=application/x-executable,application/x-shellscript,application/x-python,application/x-perl
Actions=runassu

[Desktop Action runassu]
Name=Run as Root
Icon=kfm
Exec=kdesu -c

copy & paste those (seperately) to a text editor (kwrite, etc.) do "save as", name it whatever you like, but just make the file name end with .desktop. (IE: "save as", runasroot.desktop) then, save the file into /home/(username)/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus. note, the /.kde directory is hidden by default, so you need to go to (in konqueror file manager) "view" in the top tool bar & put a check besides "show hidden files".

enjoy..........

Chris

Edited by chris z

Noob here.

I like your idea. I do not have a servicemenus directory in the location you mention, so I created one and inserted the 2 files. This didn't work.

I had a brief look at the link you posted, and they mentioned using: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus. I do have this directory, so I inserted the 2 files here. Still didn't work.

Any ideas?

did you name them with .desktop extension? if so, the other thing is, these options will only show up in the drop down menu when applicable. IE: if you right click on something that doesn't need root priveledges, you won't see the options. try opening konq in file manager mode as normal user. the root directory should be locked & unavailable to a normal user. if you right click on it, the menu option will be there if you followed the steps correctly to create the service menu scripts.

please post back & let me know.

Chris

Edited by chris z

• 1 month later...