Pay for mandrake?

flightcrank

well, the download version has three instead of four cds, you don't get the printed manuals and a lovely looking box. just like suse. you can install via ftp or download the isos or buy a box with install support and printed manuals. the manuals are the most expensive stuff in the box. (okay, software is also expensive but we are not talking of windows or adobe.;))

" Paying " for it also gives Mandrake a means to pay their employees and continue to develop the software. SO another difference is how Mandrake is supported. That doesn't mean "free" does not contibute. Anyone who downloads and files bug reports is also contributing to the success of Mandrake.

The download editions are there to benefit everyone; if you like it, you should figure out how to keep it going on your part. Or you could accept the outrageously priced method used by microsoft, forcing you to pay even when it is not installed on your system! Either way, you're gonna support somebody!

It may be the devil or it may be the lawd, but you're gonna support somebody!

(Background music "You're Gonna Serve Somebody")

well, the download version has three instead of four cds, you don't get the printed manuals and a lovely looking box. just like suse. you can install via ftp or download the isos or buy a box with install support and printed manuals. the manuals are the most expensive stuff in the box. (okay, software is also expensive but we are not talking of windows or adobe.;))

Actually, the retail version is 6 CDs...if you're referring to Mandrake 10.0 Powerpack. I don't know how many Discovery comes with. I bought it a little over a week ago. The retail version also comes with third party software, and lots of plug-ins. It also comes with manuals in case you get lost, and it has free tech support for one month. I realize some people absolutely hate the idea of having to pay for software, but I don't mind supporting Linux. It is after all, much cheaper than Winblows. :D

Edited by axel_2078

You can get the fourth cd and contribute to mandrake economically without even having to buy a box set :cheeky:

Yeah, its easy and simple, you can join the MandrakeClub, which is a club created to help finance Mandrake, you get some benefits that regular users dont, but be adviced, you better just take it as a way to help mandrake and pay them something back in return for their work, if you join thinking on getting something very cool out of it youll get dissapointed.

Oh and BTW, Im a member -and proud of it- ... :headbang::headbang:

I did the same as feralertx. I paid a year silver subscribtion after I tried the "free" download of Mandrake 10.0 and with silver membership I could/can download Powerpack and burn them down as iso's (already done :) )

.:= The AI Dude =:.

You can get the fourth cd and contribute to mandrake economically without even  having to buy a box set  :cheeky:

Yeah, its easy and simple, you can join the MandrakeClub, which is a club created to help finance Mandrake, you get some benefits that regular users dont, but be adviced, you better just take it as a way to help mandrake and pay them something back in return for their work, if you join  thinking on getting something very cool out of it youll get dissapointed.

Oh and BTW, Im a member -and proud of it- ...  :headbang:   :headbang:

I guess you and I have a hugely different idea of what is 'economical'. As far as I'm concerned, the mandrake club is a horrible waste of money. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting Mandrake, but that is a the worst way of doing it I know of. By joining the club, you get access to a slow and crowded forum that is far less helpful than this one, access to RPM's of software you could install yourself, and the ability to vote in poles which completely fail to have any effect on what rpm's are actualy included in the distro. You can do just as much support by purchasing a licensed copy from mandrake or a mandrake reseller, and at elast then you get a nice manual which may contain usefull tips and some nice CD's instead of CDR's.

Also, if you're a cheapskate like me, you can get the fourth CD by buying the CD's from http://www.cheapbytes.com for less than $10.00

Also, there's more versions than that. There's Discovery, which includes only 2 CD's. The free download includes 3. The Club/CheapBytes set has a fourth CD which contains a bunch of extras. The powerpack has 6 CD's or is available on one DVD. Then there's the powerpack plus, formerly known as mandrake pro and it includes 8CD's and 1DVD. On top of all that, there's three or four Corperate flavors.

The next time I buy a copy, I'm gedtting the powerpack DVD. I think it's the most bang for your buck and having it on 1 DVD would make life much simpler.

Edited by VeeDubb

You just missing one point. You can download and burn the the diffrent mandrake version with the Club membership (gold - powerpack+, silver - powerpack, bronze - discovery). So people like me can get powerpack right away, downloading, burning and installing...with an instant. Ofcause it require a good connection and a burner. But again I could wait a week waiting for the mail man.

I started with the "free download"- version and when I saw it was something I could use, I paid for the club membership. Easy and painless :)

.:=The AI Dude=:.

I've supported my favorite distro by buying a book from them, The Definitive Guide to Mandrake. An excelent book!

I'm also considering buying the DVD Powerpack when 10.1 or 10.2 is released...

I "buy" every couple of releases, and download in between.  I bought a copy of 6, 8, and 9.2, and will probably buy 10.1 or 10.2.

I'm basicaly the same, but since the .2 releases always seem to be the best, I'll probably wait and buy 10.2 oe when it finaly comes out some time next year.

I'd like to add that there are lots more ways to contribute

1 - buy a pack (online, in a shop, if you can find it)

2 - get a clubmembership, not just for the clubrpms, or the voting (not hot on that one), but also for the early access, bittorrent works great for me... The clubmembership money has the largest margins for Mandrake

3 - buy a preinstalled Mandrake pc; don't know if HP still has them, now Carrefour sells them in France, Luxembourg, Switzerland (haven't seen them here yet, don't go shopping at Carrefour regularly)

4 - help others out with (Mandrake)Linux, in real life and on boards such as this one

5 - send in bugreports

6 - help out with translations

7 - create a website with info for newbies and not-so-newbies

8 - pass linux around to friends and collegues

9 - tell people about the advantages and disadvantages of linux

10 - write code

I do/did all of the above, except buying a pack or a preinstalled machine and writing code.

I held a presentation at work last Friday, which was very successful. We will have lots of Linux servers in time (RH), and also desktops. People were impressed with the linux desktop (I showed kde in action, but also screenshots of gnome, fluxbox, enlightenment, icewm..).

I got a clubmembership, am an official Mandrake translator, have my (mandrake)linux website, etcetc...

Last but not least, I disagree with *.0 releases of Mandrake being less good than .1 or .2 releases.

Each release got better, not for everyone, but on the whole.

Each release had fiasco's too, again, luckily not for everyone. 10.0 has less big problems than 9.2 for instance (deaddrives anyone)...

In most cases this has to do with the kernel more than the distribution, although they patch the kernel...

I am getting an AMD 64 3200+ tommorow in the mail along with a new motherboard... I have wanted to try linux for a while and I figured this would be a good time to try it... the only problem is I dont have 130 for the 64 bit version of Mandrake and I did not see it on their download page... I don't mind paying for a membership to support but I was wondering if you guys new of a way to get it for cheaper (through membership or somthing) or for free... I just want to try it to see if I like it...