K3B won't burn CDs :(

axel_2078

This is what's in the file. I didn't see that line anywhere.

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hde

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80

disk=/dev/hdh bios=0x81

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hde1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hde1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

label="263-7"

root=/dev/hde1

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hde1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe acpi=ht devfs=nomount"

read-only

other=/dev/hdh1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hdh

map-drive=0x80

to=0x81

map-drive=0x81

to=0x80

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

OK A couple of issues to address first then questions.

first, K3B WILL allow you to burn cd's as a user. You just have to use UserDrake to add yourself to the cdrw (or whatever it's called) group. Then that issue will be nixed. Also Kernel 2.6.3 is the default kernel installed with MDK10.0. The 2.6 version of the kernel no longer uses the ide-scsi emulation, so it can recognize ide cdburners with out the scsi emulation included. And K3B will work fine (I've burned a number of cd's with mine). On a related note eroaster still looks for the scsi drives so it needs the scsi emulation and won't work on the 2.6 kernel.

Now questions? When you say you select the songs. What format? are they wav's or mp3's? If mp3's you need lame installed. Does k3b detect your burner ok? Have you tried burning a data cd?

As far as the group thing goes, I created a group called cd_burning and added myself, my wife, and root as members. Then I went into k3b setup and checked the box to use the cd_burning group. That didn't fix anything. I can't even burn if I log in as root.

Now for the songs...yes they are in mp3 format. However, I've tried burning numerous data CDs and they fail as well. K3b seems to detect my burner just fine. It sees it as a TDKCDRW5200B, which it is and it sees that it has a maximum speed of 52X.

This is what is displayed on the screen after I tell K3b to burn something:

Writing image file to /temp/kde-kevin K3b data project.iso

Image successfully created in /temp/kde-kevin K3b data project.iso

Using cdrecord 2.1a27 - dvd

Starting DAO writing at 52X

X cdrecord returned an unknown error (code 255)

X unknown error 255

X Please send me an email with the last output

removed imaged file /tem/kde-kevin K3b data project.iso

I don't think my particular burner supports the DAO type writing. I supports TAO, SAO, SAO/R16, RAW/R96P and RAW/R96R. However, I've already tried those also and that didn't work either. I'm hitting a brick wall here. :wall:

Also, I can no longer enter K3b setup. I removed the version of k3b from my computer and downloaded the latest version from the k3b site. Ever since, I can't go into k3b setup. When I click on it, nothing happens, as if the button weren't even there.

THIS JUST IN:

I also have Mandrake 10.0 installed on my laptop. I tried burning a data cd using the original version of k3b and it worked just fine. I don't understand. Why would my TDK not work?

Edited by axel_2078

I reinstalled the original version and it still doesn't work. AHHHHHHHH!!!! :wall:

This is what comes up in the debugging log after the failure.

Error trying to open /dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/cd exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.

Error trying to open /dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/cd exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/cd'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Why would the burner be busy?

EDIT:

I saw this same problem and here's what someone suggested.

You should probably use dev=ATAPI:0,0,0

If you don't have SCSI drive

Code:

cdrecord -v -eject speed=8 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 FC2-i386-rescuecd.iso

And the reply was "Thanks. Now it works like a new BMW".

Could this be what is wrong?

Edited by axel_2078

Now it works for some strange reason. I'm thinking it may be because I never restarted my machine after making change k3b, adding a group and then users to the group, removing k3b, adding it, removing it, adding it, etc. My computer locked up, so I had to restart. After the computer freezing during bootup 4 times, I was finally able to get to the login screen on the 5th hard restart. I logged in, tried burning a data cd with k3b and it worked. Then I burned an audio cd and it worked too. WTF??? Is this all because I never restarted my machine after I created the cd_burning group?? I thought Linux didn't require restarts after every little change you make (like Windows)??

I used to use Eroaster (In mandy and Debian) And it worked fine. But when I put Mandrake 10 on the machine with the 2.6 kernel, Eroaster won't work. It still looks for the scsi drives (scd* or sg*) And won't recognize just the hdc burner. So I tried K3B. It worked just as good at Eroaster but recognized the ide devices. Only thing is it won't copy a mixed format cd (I had to copy my warcraft II cd since it was getting scratched and hang at a spot) and had to jump to windows to do it. Also it doesn't recognize my burner 4x speed even though eroaster did. But other wise it has worked like a charm. I've burned about a dozen music cd's from converting my lp's and an ongoing archive cd of programs. No coasters yet.