K3B won't burn CDs :(

axel_2078

Everytime I try to burn a CD with K3B, it fials right after it prepares the files for burning. Immediately after it finishes, it says "cdrecord did not exit cleanly" and it stops. It happens every time. What's the deal? I've tried recording at different speeds and tried the DAO and RAW write types. Linux recognizes my burner as a TDKCDRW5200, which is correct. This is driving me nuts. :help:

Edited by axel_2078

The burner is about 2 years old and still works great under Windows. I have 512 MB of Ram. As far as the steps, I open up K3b, leave the default burniing speed at automatic, and the Write at the default option DAO. I uncheck burn on the fly, because that doesn't work at all. After dragging all my songs to the list, I click burn. The computer then scans all the songs, preparing the image for burning. Immediately after the scan is done, I get that error message. The burner doesn't even seem to initialize, since it doesn't even have time to. A friend of mine was telling me that a newer kernel caused burning problems with K3b. Is anyone aware of this? Could it be a glitch? Before anyone asks, I've already tried different burning speeds and writing methods and still get the "cdrecord did not exit cleanly" message.

EDIT:

I ran across this post in another thread and I'm wondering if it has any relevance.

"Yes, it is a permission issue that I've had as well. You could do what illogic-al said.

1. Check to know you belong to which group or add you to a group, eg. "cdwriter" (Control Center - Configure Your Computer - System - Users & Groups)

2. Open k3b and run k3bsetup

3. In the box "Burning group' (the first box at the top of the window) type the name of the group to which you belong, eg. "cdwriter"

4. Click apply button and OK. K3B should work.

Hope this helps"

I am not currently a member of any group. Should I create a group and assign myself to it? Could that be the problem?

Edited by axel_2078

k3b is a gui frontend for several programs working together. It seems to me that cdrecord is the culprit. Run the k3b setup program and look at the list of programs that are actually doing all the work. Perhaps a bad file was used to instal one of them. By reinstalling just that one part, you can fix the issue.

well, you don't need another kernel. try uninstalling k3b in mcc → software section and then reinstall it with urpmi from the console (urpmi k3b). i hope this will do the trick.

Well, it still doesn't work. I tried burning as root and that didn't work. I tried uninstalling k3b and then reinstalling it and that didn't work. The burn process fails every time. The burner still doesn't seem to initialize. Here is what the debugging log said:

/usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/cd'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support

Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.

Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.

Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

cdrecord comand:

-----------------------

/usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/cd speed=52 -dao driveropts=burnfree -eject -data /tmp/kde-kevin/k3b_0.iso

So I have a bad version? What version do you guys have?