No sound need help im new to linux as well

jspurrier

I dont know if this will help or not but i know in XP usually when i first install XP and have to get sound to work i have to go into advanced and check digital output or something like that because i have two speakers that connect into a subwoofer and the subwoofer has a line going into the sound card. and its a digital line im guessing so if that helps any in your diagonsis... Thank you

Are you sure alsa is running? Can you check in the KDE control venter again to see if you don't get any errors?

Last thing i know is the amixer. Hope this works, give 'amixer set Master unmute'. Try it with other channels as wel (PCM etc etc).

And do you loudspeakers have a volume button? Make sure that these are cranked up :)

And you could try using the OSS module (that's the other one mentioned in the MCC)Make sure every sound app is closed when you load it.

Good luck

I did that and still no sound :screwy: Im starting to wonder if this sound card will even work with linux... i know i had trouble getting it to work with fedora core 2 i was able to make the test sound play but i couldnt play CD's on fedora core but i also update alsa to the latest version... i wonder if another distro will work or if i should get a card that is supported andt tested... i have all the mixer settings to maximum.. I do have an onboard sound card its a nvidia sound card. i havent been able to get it to work under windows however so i doubt i will get that to work on linux.. Any final suggestions or words of wisdom. I really appreciate you help I do like linux and prefer it over windows but i need sound i have to listen to CDs or whatever while i work.. Well IF you can think of anything else that would be great thank you once again....

Well if you've tried everything and it still doesn't work another souncard/onboard soind does seem like a good idea.

You can download the latest nforce2 drivers from the nvidia site, install them, shut down arts (and check if alsa has closed down, the module is OSS).

Good luck.

Edited by devries

Ok I dont know if im gonna give on on my sound blaster or not but I finally have sound :headbang: but the downside is its just system sound and sound for the games :screwy: I went with my on board sound card which is a nvidia sound card and it plays however i can only use one speaker but i expected that because i think my sound system isnt made for the on borad sound card cause i can only get i speaker to play correctly in window.. I have a Boston sound system so i have 2 little desktop speakers and a subwoofer.. The one destop plugs into another desktop which in turns plugs into the subwoofer with a cable that definitely wouldnt plug into any sound card.. so im able to get sound outta one speaker that normally plugs into the other speaker its going into the sound card.. I hope you follow.. Normally the digital line goes into the sound card from the subwoofer but when you do that it wont play in window nor will it play in linux ive tried.. Oh well at least i got sound i can always get new speakers besides mine are old.. But i still cant get a CD to play now.. I hear sound because i play a game it was super gasers or something that came with MDK 10.0 and i heard sound fine so just need to get the CD to play and i can worry about speakers later.. IF you can help me with that that would be awesome :thanks:

Maybe you have a CD burner and a different CD player? Try playing from the burner. :)

Or if that is not the case, in KDE control center, sound and multi media, audio CD, unceck auto detect CD player (or check it if it is not) and play around with the settings, /dev/cdrom or the full path /dev/ide/host0/etc etc.

Good luck

I wont be able to try anything until tonight because im at work but I have a Pioneer DVD and a Pioneer DVD writer/rewriter I didnt mention this i dont think but i was able to get a movie to play with sound... but i will check those variables as well this evening but if having a DVD player and Burner make a difference then let me know what i need todo Thank you for your help

OK i did a clean install and i also did it cause i wanted to use a bigger HDD so after i install everything is there a way to save the settings so it wont get erased again like it misterously did.. i dont think i messed around with any of the settings but im a newbie so i might have but i also noticed that my clock never stays set to the time i set it to as well so i hope there is a way to save the settings i'll do an lsmod when its done installing to my HDD

Don't log in as root and when you do/must be very carefull :). But there is nothing wrong with breaking things when you're learning. Just make sure have the imortant stuff backed up. :)

For your clock to stay on time use the Network Time Protocol. Rightclick on the clock, choose adjust date and time and check ntp. Good luck