No sound need help im new to linux as well

jspurrier

I have no sound on my linux machine and i need help. I have windows HDD and Linux HDD and i know that sound is working properly on windows but i cannot get it to work for linux. I have a fresh install of Mandrake 10.0 the free version Im not totally sure what sound card i have in my computer but i know its a sound blaster and it autodetected a emu10k. I would guess its a 32 or 64 live its and older card from i would say 99 but then again im not sure exactly. Ive gone into Kmix and turned the volume all the way up but i still cant hear anything. I have gone into alsamix as well and checked the volume but it looked like it was all the way up. I went through the list and everything is unmuted. I havent tired alsaconf yet but before i try anything else I want to get some help so if anyone knows what to try to solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Im new to linux so it would be helpful if you would explain so i can understand Thank you

how do i check or access MCC im pretty new to linux like i said so MCC sounds greek to me. Is it a command line command or do i get there from the desktop... Im running KDE as my desktop. Thank you. O BTW i dont know if this will change anything but i do see alsa loading in the startup process and it starts too i dont get any failures... Thank you again

Guest selimb

Hi..

- to obtein the module an the sound card:

lspcidrake -v |fgrep AUDIO

- to see if the services sound are configured:

/sbin/chconfig/ --list sound

or:

/sbin/chconfig/ --list alsa

and:

grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf

- to see if the volume is muted /unmuted:

aumix -q

- to see if malicius prog is using the sound:

/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp

- of course:

install alsa-1.06 from http://www.alsa-project.org/

Regards

selim,b.

Hi..

- to obtein the module an the sound card:

lspcidrake -v |fgrep AUDIO

- to  see if the services sound are configured:

/sbin/chconfig/ --list sound

or:

/sbin/chconfig/ --list  alsa

and:

grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf

- to see if the volume is  muted /unmuted:

aumix -q

- to see if  malicius prog is using the sound:

/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp

- of course:

install alsa-1.06 from    http://www.alsa-project.org/

Regards

selim,b.

You type these commands in konsole as root. To become root in the konsole, type

su

and hit enter. Then type your root password and hit enter you won't see anything being typed). Then issue the above commands. To access MCC, you can type

mcc

in the konsole as root.

I really and truly appreciate all of the replies. Unforunately im currently at work :( and not at my computer so i will have to try all this tonight when i get home.. But still if anyone else has any input or suggestions please lend me the hand and i will update you all tonight if these suggestions work or not.

Vendor: ‎Creative Labs

Alternative drivers: ‎audigy:emu10k1

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus identification: ‎1102:2:1102:8032

Location on the bus: ‎1:8:0

Description: ‎SB Live! (audio)

Module: ‎snd-emu10k1

Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

I tried to install the latest version of alsa and it messes up the settings when i do a reboot and alsa fails to load. And i did it per the instructions. I was able to restore my system back to the origonal point but i still havent been able to get sound is there anything else i can try thank you

If you see the playbar moving and don't hear any sound it is most likely some channel is muted. Use alsamixergui (if it's not installed do urpmi alsamixergui as root) and experiment some with the setting)

If the playbar is not moving and you get an error message, post it. Also check the arts settings (the kde sound deamon) in kde control center, sound & multimedia, soundsystem. Again if you get an error, post it..

Good luck

I get this message when i try to run the alsamixergui install

[root@172 jspurrier]# urpmi alsamixergui

no package named alsamixergui

[root@172 jspurrier]#

I also cant find the arts in the KDE Control Center

I went to sound and sound systme and i currently have enable the sound system checked

sound buffer as large as possible

Enable networked sound is uncheed

Run the highest possible priority is unchecked

and when i try to check it i get this message Impossible to start aRts with real time prioirty because artswrapper is missing or disabled

Auto suspend if idle is unchecked

when i run kmix i get this message as well

Hardware page i have

Select the audio is on ALSA not auto detect

Quality is set to default and everything else is unchecked

the MIDI is set to RAWmidi 0

When i run Kmix in the Komsole i get this error message as well

kmix: ERROR: Alsa mixer cannot be found.

Please check that the soundcard is installed and the

soundcard driver is loaded.

kmix:

kmix: ERROR: Alsa mixer cannot be found.

Please check that the soundcard is installed and the

soundcard driver is loaded.

kmix:

Hope you are able to go through this and understand these messages and any help will be greatly appreciated also the player bar is moving im using KSCD and i can can the time counting and playing bar moving...

This probably will help you in helping me as well when it loads linux i can see that it loads alsa and its says Alsa 1.0.2c and something about an emuk101 Like i said i previously tried loading 1.0.6 but when i did i wouldnt load alsa on the startup and all sound was disabled....I installed it exactly the way alsa website told me to as well. I was able to i just went ahead and restore its back to origional help will be greatly appreciated thanks once again

Stay away from the alsa site and stick van Mandrake :). Everything you need comes on the 4 CDs.

First: Let's make sure everything is working as it should. Look in the MCC, by hardware, hardware (soundcard) if the alsa module (driver) is loaded. Then check under MCC, system, services if alsa is running. When you do this make sure every 'sound' app is closed, including kmis in the systray.

2: Is alsamixergui already installed? Type in a console alsamixergui? What do you get?. If still nothing try urpmi alsa-utils (as root) and then try alsamixergui again.

3: The sound system is called arts. So sound system enabled checked means arts is running. Since you're getting error messages about arts try disabling it (by unchecking it). Then run xmms (or mplayer or whatever) to see if you hear anything.

Good luck

Edited by devries

This is what i have in MCC when i click on sound then click on sblinve! (audio)

Vendor: ‎Creative Labs

Alternative drivers: ‎audigy:emu10k1

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus identification: ‎1102:2:1102:8032

Location on the bus: ‎1:8:0

Description: ‎SB Live! (audio)

Module: ‎snd-emu10k1

Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Then when i look under services it says Alsa running the on boot is checked

I check it with all sound apps closed but dont know if you meant KMIX i dont see a KMIS i closed KMIX though

OK i dont think i have alsamixergui installed i ran the urpmi alsa-utils as su and it says everything is installed so i typed alsamixergui again and still it says it cannot find the command.

I tried disabling arts and playing a CD and still i cannot hear any sound. I renabled it and was able to check run with hightest possible priortiy this time no errors.

Still no sound. I only have 3 CD download. and I know my CD works because i played it in windows to make sure the CD works. Also i dont know if this will help but i disabled the PNP and the onboard sound on my motherboard as well because it has a built in sound card on the motherboard.

carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/10.1/i586/media/main/alsamixergui-0.9.0-0.9rc1_3mdk.i586.rpm

Download this and install alsamixergui. Then try again. Since your not getting any errors my guess still would be something muted. If you can't get alsamixergui installed let's try alsamixer (command: alsamixer). It's a console application but not very difficult to use. Just use the --> keys to move around and m for mute on/off.

For a complete list of all channels look at the output of the command amixer (but you should probably not need this)

Sorry for the typo, it should have been kmix

Good luck

Ok I couldn't get alsamixergui installed it said that i was missing a lib file i went into alsamixer and all of the items are up at 100. I couldnt get the SB Live Analog/Digital up to 100 its at 0 and there are a few others that wouldnt go up to 100 there at 0. But every single one is unmuted there are no M's on top of the slider bar