Resizing postscript files for printing

I need to resize some printer postscript files from letter to A4, if you don't want to know why skip the next paragraph.

I have printer on a small network which grinds to a halt every time a letter sized document is sent to it, because it expects A4, so it just sits there and asks for letter size paper. I have a system in place which blocks letter sized paper from being printed but I still get complaints from people who can't figure out how to change the size of their document, so I was hoping to resize the document to A4 automatically.

So I tried to do this using the command

psresize -Pletter -pA4 test.ps test2.ps

The problem is, it doesn't seem to work properly. It resizes the printed stuff on the page alright but the produced postscript file is still seen as a letter document by KGhostview and the postscript file it still contains a line with

%%BeginFeature: *PageSize Letter

. I've tried using different printers (HP LaserJet and Apple Colour Laser) with the same results. I even tried editing the postscript file to change the "PageSize Letter" to "PageSize A4" but with no luck. I also tried using the ImageMagick tools but the resultant postscript file is far too poor quality to use (or it becomes enormous when I set the dpi to a reasonable level and still poor quality). Is their anyway I can resize this postscript file to A4 and have it read it as A4.

Thanks.

Edited by cardassianscot