I'm probably being HACKED, help !!!

jmr0311

Man, you are paranoid.

Before you even tinker with Linux, you ought to have a basic understanding of using your (I'm assuming you're broadband, I wish I was. . .) router along with creating a (D)MZ. Basically, what I'm saying is, if you don't quite trust your system just yet, put it behind something that won't port forward, obviously this isn't 100% secure and does limit your "server" options, BUT for a client/desktop, there's no reason why it's not absolutely feasable, and stuff like local printer/internet sharing will work just fine because your local network is trusted.

• 2 months later...
How come I have posted using to different IP's. I only have one system at my home. Okay, I think that is because I use  a computer at my workplace to post sometimes. But can you explain how my system got chage from;

[jmr0311@home-desktop jmr0311]$  to this [jmr0311@localhost jmr0311]$

Do you think that there is a possibility, an application running in my system did it ?

Thanks for taking the time and help me understand all this.

javi

I wonder if you have a fully qualified domain name. Check you /etc/hosts file and /etc/sysconfig/network file to see if your hostname is there. The hostname in those two places has to be the same. It is just a suggestion. Somehow, when you lose network connection and your box is on DHCP, it cannot pull the the domain name.

J.T.