trying to install fluxbox

teh_sAbEr

i downloaded the fluxbox-0.1.14 source tarball from their website, unpacked it into its own little directory, and pulled a ./configure on it. worked fine, but when i got to the "make" part, it looked like it had some problems. i wasn't too sure about this, so i jumped to "make install" and it too looked like it had some problems. this is what i saw when i ran "make"

fluxbox.cc: In member function `void Fluxbox::save_rc()':
fluxbox.cc:1976: error: `B_EuropeanDate' undeclared (first use this function)
fluxbox.cc:1976: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
fluxbox.cc: In member function `void Fluxbox::load_rc(BScreen*)':
fluxbox.cc:2324: error: `B_AmericanDate' undeclared (first use this function)
make[3]: *** [fluxbox.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/e_tuvera_jr/DesktopsLinuxRelatedStuff/fluxbox-0.1.14/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/e_tuvera_jr/DesktopsLinuxRelatedStuff/fluxbox-0.1.14/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/e_tuvera_jr/DesktopsLinuxRelatedStuff/fluxbox-0.1.14'
make: *** [all] Error 2
{/CODE]

and when i "make install"
[CODE] 
fluxbox.cc: In member function `void Fluxbox::save_rc()':
fluxbox.cc:1976: error: `B_EuropeanDate' undeclared (first use this function)
fluxbox.cc:1976: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
fluxbox.cc: In member function `void Fluxbox::load_rc(BScreen*)':
fluxbox.cc:2324: error: `B_AmericanDate' undeclared (first use this function)
make[2]: *** [fluxbox.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/e_tuvera_jr/DesktopsLinuxRelatedStuff/fluxbox-0.1.14/src'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/e_tuvera_jr/DesktopsLinuxRelatedStuff/fluxbox-0.1.14/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

they look similar, and as far as i can tell, fluxbox wasn't installed properly/completely. any advice? did i forget to do something? thanks

Edited by teh_sAbEr

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a fluxbox rpm (I cannot remember which source I used to get it - maybe cooker or plf). It is set up for mandrake and should install perfectly. I have been running it for quite a while. Look for fluxbox-0.9.8-1mdk

It is also more up-to-date than the one you are trying to install. Happy fluxing. Once you have it running and configured to your liking you will never look back

I use nautilus - which version of nautilus are you using? You can also use any number of file browsers (including konqueror and ROX) or webbrowsers.

Can you post the version of Nautilus (it would be helpful to be running GDM to use this) , and any config options you are using as well

well, the thing is, i can get into GNOME, but when i do get in, a recurring error message pops up (windows 98 style) telling me that Nautilus has crashed due to a fatal error (segmentation fault). i try to access it from the newly installed fluxbox and it does the same thing. im not sure which version it is either. thats ok though, i think all is working well with the ROX-Filer. thanx for the help!

Nautilus has crashed due to a fatal error

i also had this once. gnome completely borked. the only way i got rid of it was creating a new user and ship my sensitive data to the new /home/... directory. still dunno, why this had happened.

i c, so im not the only one. it just went out on me. anyways, i have some questions about fluxbox:

1. i downloaded a dockapp plus ROX-Filer (to replace Nautilus), how do i set it up so that the dockapp starts automatically when i start Flux, and how do i place a "home" icon on the desktop?

2. say for example, i have more than one window on the screen, none of them are maximized. when i move the mouse from window A to window B, B pops up and puts A behind it. any way to disable this feature?

3. and a little off topic here, but, in GNOME system monitor, it says that 244 out of 250 MB of RAM has been used, while in GKrellm, it says i have 149 MB RAM left. which one do i believe?

thanx for the help, its much appreciated :-)

The best way (and certainly the way with the best eye candy) to add icons to your desktop in fluxbox is to use gDesklets.

You can see one of these running in the atteched screenshot (it is called CircleButtonBar) You will see that it contains icons which can be used to launch apps and is infinitely editable.

I am not sure which of your monitoring programs is telling you the truth on this one.

Your other problem, with the popups I am not sure of, having never encountered it, but I will look into it for you and see if I can replicate it.

gkrellShoot_08-25-04_102637.jpg

hey, im tryin to install gDesklets now, and part of the way through, compiling from source, i decided to just URPMI the thing instead, so i did, and now gDesklets is installed (i guess i can tell by the fact that something does happen when i type gDesklets in the command line) i cant figure out how to use it, plus its version 0.26, not 0.30, the latest. when i try to compile from source, it says it cant find the Python header files. where can i get those? in what package would those be? thanx for the help!

edit: i fixed the header file problem, but now gnome-python ./configure cant find the pygtk that i installed. it says i should point the pKG_CONFIG_PATH to the dir w/pygtk-2.0.pc in it.

Edited by teh_sAbEr

there are other, much much simpler ways to add icons, such as,

idesk:

http://idesk.sourceforge.net/

http://ikaro.dk/content.php?article.16

rox filer/pinboard:

http://ikaro.dk/content.php?article.4

fbdesk

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/fbdesk/

more usefull fluxbox stuff on www.ikaro.dk

and a FAQ on http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/misc/fluxboxFAQ.html

I also suggest that you make sure you are using the latest version -- 0.9.9

You type:

gdesklets

first to get the dameon up and running. Then if you type:

gdesk

and hit the tab key, it will bring up a list of different monitors you can add to it. i.e. if you want to add a system sensor, select:

gdesklets-add-sensor

and the senser will be added and so on. If you want it to start up when you boot into Flux, iphitus has an excellent tuturial on Flux you should look at as well as the Flux site.

Edited by spiedra

hmm ok, ill check them out. on another note, how do you get the dockapps to start when you start fluxbox, and not when you enter it in a console?

edit: ok, so i looked at that FAQ that you linked me to, and it said to edit the file called startup in the hidden fluxbox folder, except i dont have one. i can make one, but whats the format?

Edited by teh_sAbEr

Can you post the contents of your flux folder?

I believe with the newer version, the file is autostart, there should be someting like that there.

If not, you'll need to create the file yourself, but we'll cross that bridge when it comes.