how secure is Mandrake?

axel_2078

It's pretty secure. Mandrakes makes sure there are no unneeded services/servers running so you don't have to care about that. You are not using IE/Outlook, so that's pretty secure. There are usually security updates pretty quick after a problem surfaces, so that's good.

But of course you will never be 100% secure so make sure you regularly back up of vital data.

Oh and don't do anything stupid. :cheesy:

Configure the firewall in mcc and shorewall will be installed and configured. Very easy, and all that is needed for basic setups.

A couple of years ago (ML-8.2?) someone did a default, no firewall, install of mandrake and announced to the world to hack it. It took 2.5 weeks and I think over 20,000 attempts to get in :afro:

Configure the firewall in mcc and shorewall will be installed and configured. Very easy, and all that is needed for basic setups.

I remember during the configuration of the firewall that you couldn't turn it on unless some things like ftp, http, dns, etc servers were checked. What I'm not sure about is, is it asking if you will be connecting to those types of servers, or acting as one of those types of servers? I didn't check any of them and thus my firewall is not activated because I didn't understand it.

Also, is the firewall easy to configure? I have two other computers on my network and I need to share files between them.

then it is activated. You do not have to check anything. Leave all unchecked.

[root@localhost root]# chkconfig --list | grep shorewall
shorewall       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[root@localhost root]# chkconfig --list | grep iptables
iptables        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[root@localhost root]#

• 2 weeks later...

It's true that it would better be closed, but by default it doesn't install samba I think. I don't know an other service that runs on the port, but there can be ofcourse ...

I think by default there is nothing running on the port, so there is nothing to exploit except the firewall if you have it on ... (which is good to have on)

Edited by Michel

It's true that it would better be closed, but by default it doesn't install samba I think. I don't know an other service that runs on the port, but there can be ofcourse ...

I think by default there is nothing running on the port, so there is nothing to exploit except the firewall if you have it on ... (which is good to have on)

What stands for port 139 and port 1.

Port 1 stands for firewall?

port 139 stands for?