anyone use Mandrake Move?

axel_2078

I dunno about MDK Move but I have used Knoppix and have to say that it can save your @$$ sometimes (data recovery, boot in critical situation, clean infections sometimes and many more uses) It's especially usefull for people that travel alot but don't have a laptop. It's like taking your OS with you all the times provided you have an USB drive and it is secure as well. Why should you use the existing OS on a computer when you can boot up yours ? Maybe the existing OS has spyware, keyloggers etc. I'm not paranoic but this thing happened to a friend of mine. His Hotmail account was taken over by someone using this technique. Better safe than sorry :D

Yeah, Mandrake Move is a live CD based on MDK 9.2. If I was switching between machines a lot, I would consider it, but I have my *own* box, so I just use MM (and/or Knoppix) as a "rescue" system. ;)

I have the MandrakeMove but my favourite Live-CD is the Kurumin Linux (Based on Knoppix), Of preference the Kacike edition :cheesy:

Edited by luizmdk

They aren't bad...really basic, but that's to be expected. They are nice for showing off what linux can do, and for fixing a comp. I use Morphix myself.

Oh, they're also good for when you want to get on AIM, and do not currently have a hard drive in your comp :P

How well does these "live CD" works vs. installed? I've heard they suck big time from some who tried Knoppix.

Because a liveCD runs from the CD drive you can expect it to run slower than a hard drive installation. I always use it when posible if i have to use a computer different than mine, and if i encounter a slow system i just boot with a lghter window manager so it runs smoother. But it doesnt suck big time, thats for sure.