To Genkernel or not to Genkernel

Members here that run Gentoo do you use genkernel or not?

I do at times just cause Im lazy.

If you are to reply with a "Genkernel bad" comment please tell why you think its bad.

That being said I have a working .config file that I use (one stable one for new stuff or trial/test kernel)

my genkernel command looks like this:

#genkernel --clean --mrproper --install --no-mountboot --kernel-config=/config2.6.8-test --udev --bootsplash --bootloader=grub all

>>>>>>>>>>>

Otherwise I compile like this:

#make clean

#make mrproper

#make xconfig

#make && make modules_install && make install

#mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8 2.6.8

I know there is a few other ways of compiling a kernel (command wise). but how is one better than the other? I can see if you use genkernel with a default .config but not with your own .config file.

btw: I just switched to love-sources and it rocks :headbang::headbang:

Good Gentoo site I found HERE

I've only been a gentoo user for about 2 days now and it's good to see there are still some gentoo users around :lol:. It was looking like everyone had left for arch.

I've done two installs so far, one genkernel and one not. Can't really comment on the pros/cons yet, both were very easy.

Thanks for the wiki link, it looks helpful.

I don't have a prolbem using it, I'll do either. I'm past the point of learning how to compile a kernel ;-)

genkernel does work, so what could be bad. Please don't use the LAME comment cause you learn more, (already discussed I can't learn anymore with the kernel) :cheesy:

P.S. Loves good you should try Nitro's too.

I don't use genkernel. Mainly because i aleady know exactly what i need to configure into my kernel and how to install it easily (even have a little script to do it for me), but also because the one time I used genkernel it took muuucchhh longer to build and install the kernel than it would manually plus it didn't even install right. Although to be fair, when I did try genkernel it was still very early in development, so I don't really know it is now.

cybrjackle -

Thanks for the links I didn't have a few of those.

When I switch from dev-sources 2.6.8 to love-sources (2.6.8) it was the first time I could see a improvement in speed.

Genkernel has improved by leaps and bounds in the past year so so.

Hey HJ how about sharing the script?

genkernel sucks and I wouldn't recommend using it. I compiled my own kernel once, and now I simply import my .config file and recompile when I upgrade. What could be simpler than that.

I tried genkernel many times - it breaks things and produces ugly kernels. Do it the way god intended: roll your own.

Edited by SoulSe

I tried genkernel once and hated it. I agree with Soulse that the kernels produced are ugly (although I struggle to put into words exactly what that means... Perhaps Uma Therman ugly ;-) )

Also, I found that it took ages to boot. Since one of the advantages of gentoo for me was boot time (although arch is quicker still) I quickly ditched it and rolled my own.

As Soulse says, once you have your own .config - it's not exactly hard to recompile a new kernel...

Here is my normal approach, if its a new box ex. my new laptop, I used genkernel on it so I don't have to figure out all the hdw right away. After that, once I have the system up and running I start filtering through the kernel and removing bloated junk and then as SoulSe pointed out, keep using my .config and just make oldconfig on all new kernels.

Ok, I tried using genkernel to get all the fancy stuff working on my laptop and it simply WILL NOT work from within an existing install (no loop,etc). Lots of threads on other boards, including posts by SoulSe and maybe others here :) I'll definitely steer clear of genkernel from now on. Trial and error with menuconfig seems much safer.