big quantum fireball problem :(

a13x

My second hd, a Quantum Fireball AS30.0 A1Y.1500 30GB doesn't seem to work anymore. When I start my PC it runs extremely slow. It detects all the IDE drives (slowly) then it tries to boot (very slow) but it doesn't boot at all ! It gives me the "replace disk and press any key" error, altough my hdds are connected. Now I removed the Quantum Fireball hd and it boots normal. What can I do to get it back online ?

Did anyone else have this problem ?

Hi,

At work a customer just had a problem too ...surprise: with a Quantum fireball (40 GB) :o

(I had to work and do 1000Km this Saturday :wall: : in industry the show must go on)

Here is how I solved the problem (note that I'm not sure it's going to work for you ok ?) :

- find a bigger HD,

- buy an electronic spray to cool down chips. It's liquid Notrogene in it I think. It makes -55 °C,

- switch the pc off, unplug it, let it cool down 4 or five hours,

- assuming the broken Hd is Hda, install the new Hd, say in Hdb,

- put some cold spray on the electronic board in the bad hd to cool down the chips. Switch the pc on, boot on the Mandrake First CD, type F1, type rescue, select run the Shell (or something like that) and run

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

while it's running continue to spray some cold on the hd chips.

..... and hope hda is not going down before it's finished.

see

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...0&st=0&p=137500

CAREFULL: ALL DATA IN HDB ARE GOING TO BE ERASED

Good luck

roland

P.S: other solution if you can find an other Quantum Fireball same kind or so:

unmount the electronic board on the good hd and mount it on the broken one. Be carefull and hope it'll not burn the good board if the Hd are not the exact same kind. should not but well :juggle:

Edited by roland

I don't think it's worthwhile....... I had about 10 movies, MDK 10 ISOs and some other important stuff that was backed-up on my other hd.

Well the thing is that it seems that the logical part of the hd is OK but the mechanical part is f***** up. My question is: how did this happen ? I can hear the disk spinning inside. I dind't move it or something. And BTW, simptoms I mentioned in my first post happened the first time a few days ago. I powered off my PC, disconected the qf from the rest of the computer, booted Knoppix to check my data on my first hd and then

I connected the qf again. I powerd up the computer and everything went well. Two or three days after that, this thing happened.

What do you think ?

What do you think ?

mechanical problem on hd are rare but that happens I suppose.

"It worked then I switched it off, then I switch it on and it does not work !!?" that often surprise people. But it's when you switch on or off parts like hd that they are the most stressed. So they generally break when switching on or off.

Lucky you, you lose nothing important.... err no luck as you backed-up important things :thumbs: