Missing files... linux newbie, help please

RyanWw

Hello everyone. I'll introduce myself. I've been using PCs for about 15 years now. My first computer was a Tandy 1000 HX. I've been using Windows since Windows 3.1 and finally I have given into the light side, linux. I consider myself to be a pretty experience computer user, but now i'm in a whole new part of computing. So just saying hello.

Well I have a few problems with Mandrake 10.0 right now. I downloaded the 3 ISOs, did a md5sum, everything looked fine, so I burnt the 3 images at 4x using Nero in WinXp. I made a 15 gb ex2 partition and a 1.536gb swap partition using Pm8. I formatted my NTFS winxp partition and reinstalled Winxp.

After that, I attempted to install Mandrake 10.0. Everything looked fine once the installation started, but then it froze. The only option was to restart. Apparently the installation was somewhat completed, because the lilo boot menu came up. So I chose linux. It booted into mandrake, but when logging into root, I realized that the installation was actually not successful because nothing worked.

:wall:

So I tried to reinstall. This time, it did not freeze. However, during the copying of the files part, it came up saying that "Such and such a file can't be found, continue anyways?" so i'd click on yes. There was around 15 to 20 files that couldn't be copied. The installation was somewhat successful, because after finishing, I could get into KDE with no problems. I've been tinkering around with it for about 12 hours and now I have a few problems I can't figure out.

I'm guessing it's because there are certain files missing, but first of all, I can't get my sound to work. I've tried changing the snd drivers or whatever in the MCC harddrake. I've enabled the sound server thing in the KDECC. But when I boot up, I get an error message saying /dev/dsp is non-existant will continue to use null in sound server. I have an VT8233 AC'97 integrated VIA sound card. So that's 1 problem.

The next problem is the mandrake update thing. I assumed I could download any missing files using "RPMdrake 10.0". I get into it with no problems. I select all availible updates, and it downloads just fine. However, after verifying signatures, it comes up with "The following packages have bad signatures"

kdetoys-kweather-3.2-6mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (Could not read lead bytes)

perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.5103mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (Could not read lead bytes)

zip-2.3-10mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (Could not read lead bytes)

So I continue installation, and it comes up with this after a minute or so:

perl-Crypt-SSLeay >= 0.51-2mdk is needed by mdkonline-1.1-2.1.100mdk

kdetoys-kweather is needed by kdepim-kontact-3.2-32.1.100mdk

zip is needed by kdeutills-ark-3.2-18.1.100mdk

unable to install package /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/kdetoys-kweather-3.2-6mdk.i586.rpm

unable to install package /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/zip-2.3-10mdk.i586.rpm

unable to install package /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.51-3mdk.i586.rpm

:help:

So after trying a few things I gave up and came here. I hope someone can help me. By the way, I used CD-RWs, so maybe that might give you some ideas. I like linux so far, I just wish I didn't have so many problems getting it to work. If you need anymore info to help troubleshoot my issues, please let me know.

Thanks very much!

Guest pure_enrg
After that, I attempted to install Mandrake 10.0. Everything looked fine once the installation started, but then it froze. The only option was to restart. Apparently the installation was somewhat completed, because the lilo boot menu came up. So I chose linux. It booted into mandrake, but when logging into root, I realized that the installation was actually not successful because nothing worked. 

:wall: 

So I tried to reinstall. This time, it did not freeze. However, during the copying of the files part, it came up saying that "Such and such a file can't be found, continue anyways?" so i'd click on yes. There was around 15 to 20 files that couldn't be copied.  The installation was somewhat successful, because after finishing, I could get into KDE with no problems. I've been tinkering around with it for about 12 hours and now I have a few problems I can't figure out.

I had some of the same problems. Try doing the install intext mode. That helped me out. I'm sure someone else will come up with a better idea.

pure

Hi and welcome to Linux and welcome to the board. Much of your 15 years of computer knowledge can be carried over to Linux but there are some exceptions. One of these is the installation of software.

Mandrake uses urpmi (look in the FAQs for an explanation). Urpmi handles dependency issues like you have now. It seems like your urpmi repositories aren't setup correctly. Meaning it can't find the correct packages to install.

My advice: Remove all 'media' (the repositories) except the CDs, use this site: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to add PLF, Contrib and Update. To be sure do an 'urpmi.update -a' and after that 'urpmi --auto-select'

That should fix things.

PS this is all with CLI. If you are more comfartable with a GUI, use the MCC software section.

Good luck.

PLFis a project that makes packages that for various reasons (such as patents) are not included with your distro.

Once you have entered the information you can install packages (which will take care of their own dependencies) either with urpmi on the command line or by using the 'install software' tool (which is a graphical frontend for urpmi) in your desktop menu

What's PLF mean?

Yeah I know it's a lot of jargon but most of the things in my post that you don't understand (yet ) are explained in the FAQs and in earlier posts. Linux is different and there are some things you need to learn but after that there is no looking back. Have fun :D

Ok, well I tried to type all that stuff into the Konsole as root. However, I had a problem... when I was on the third one

"urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distri....0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz"

the download froze. I waited about 10 minutes and it was stuck on 0. So I closed the konsole and SU to root again. I tried to type it again, it said that urpmi database locked. So I typed urpmi.removemedia -a. At this point I realized that it just reset everything. :wall:

Sooo I went to retype everything and I keep getting "Database locked". What's wrong?

It means you have MCC --> software open. Close it. Or you have another konsole open. Close it too.

If you're stuck in a console do 'Ctrl-c'

<edit>You found urpmi.removemedia :). Good, you're beginning to learn. It's no big deal. To add the CDs again do urpmi.addmedia CD1/2/3 removable://mnt/cdrom (with cd1/2/3) in the cdrom drive.

Good luck.

Edited by devries

It has worked. You were on the mark with your suggestions devries. Thank you for your help, it has saved me hours more of frustration with Mandrake.

Well, thank you all very much for your replies. Thank you.

I do still have an issue with my sound card, I will post another topic for that one.

:thanks: