Fonts in Cedega

a13x

FIrst, I, and many others think that point to play sucks ass.

You can get the microsoft core fonts installer WITHOUT p2p.

Also, you can figure out what the name of the font the game is using is, and set up a font alias in your config file for it. I could explain how to set up a font alias, but it's easier for me to tell you where they are, and I'm sure you can figure the syntax out for yourself.

look at the text file /home/'username'/.transgaming/config

read through that file and you will find a section with font settings and some common font alias's set up allready. Just make a new one for the font the game uses. Actualy, there's probably a font alias already, that points to an ugly font. Anyway, you'll figure it out when youlook, and if not, come back and let me know.

It might be worth a try to copy the game fonts into

~/.transgaming_global/Fonts

(You might want to put fonts from a Windows installation in there too I guess).

I haven't tried this with Cedega myself yet, so no guarantees, but I did a similar thing with WINE when my fonts in Photoshop were unreadable and it fixed it all up straight away.

I just copied fonts from a Windows install into the fake 'C:\Windows\Fonts' folder (var/lib/wine/windows/Fonts) and WINE picked them up.

Edit: Just tried this with Cedega. Copied all files from a Windows install in 'C:\Windows\Fonts' into

~/.transgaming_global/Fonts

And all the fonts in Everquest were back to how they are supposed to look. I'd never bothered fixing this before as they were perfectly readable.

My guess would be that your trouble is due to the lack of fonts which the game expects to find in C:\Windows\Fonts rather than any problem getting the special fonts from the game's own directory.

Of course this doesn't help if you don't have a Windows install nearby. :P

Also, I expect this is a very inelegant solution, but I tried getting my head around all those font aliases when dealing with WINE and I just found this a lot easier! :P

Edited by Ed the N00B

Ed is dead on target. If the incorrectly displayed fonts are ones that the game supplies for you, you should either copy or link them to the directoy he listed. That "should" fix the problem. However, I have to tell you that I have experienced consistent and fatl font related problems with certain games.

Good luck. let me know how it comes out.

i won't bother flaming about p2p, I'll just say again that it's crap and move on. If anyone cares why, start a different thread and I'll rant for a page.

Well, since that didn't work, what iwould do is head over to http://www.transgaming.org/forum and search there. I know you are not the first person with this issue. Not by a long shot. And don't forget, you realy should go to transgaming and get the MScore fonts installer just in case. After it installs, you run the cmand 'tg_font_install' from a command line.

You will be very unhappy with point to play. It installs each game on it's own virtual hard drive, which makes expansion packs and updates useless. It installs it's own seperate instance of cedega and reduces performance noticably. There is absolutely nothing that P2P will gain you that you can't do without it.

i strongly suggest you follow my last suggestion by going to http://www.transgaming.org/forum There is a rather active forum there that discusses nothing but cedega and p2p and I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that you are not anywhere near the first person to have this problem, and I can say with 98% certainty that point2play will not fix the problem.