Good/Best CD-burner program?

Artificial Intelligence

K3B

It's good andI think it's the most widely used in KDE.

I've been using K3B and it generally works great (the UI is very similar to Nero Burning ROM which I use on my windows machine, so that's a bonus), however I keep havinga problem where once in a while it'll tell me that the CD was burned successfully 1s after starting, even though as far as I can tell it did nothing.

This may not be a K3B issue since it's mostly a user interface to drive the slew of command line based programs that are used to burn CDs, but I sometimes find myself transferring a file over to my windows machine to burn in there rather than deal with a K3B failure again. Once it fails it gerenally takes a full reboot of the machine to fix the problem.

I've never managed to get K3B to work myself...I try it every once in a while...and it always fails, so I always end up back with GCombust...I trust GCombust...it works...always :P

I've never managed to get K3B to work myself...I try it every once in a while...and it always fails, so I always end up back with GCombust...I trust GCombust...it works...always :P

I assume it's designed for Gnome? I also assume that it should work under KDE?

Properly you have to install Gnome to get it to work I think.

i have to add another vote for k3b. Of course, this is all personal preference. You see, unlike windows, there's realy only one set of cd burning programs for linux. And anything you can do through any X program can also be done through the command line given a certain minimum level of skill.

What does that mean for you? Well, it means that the only real differences between burning programs are how many of the possible command line functions are covered, and how well you like the interface. I find that k3b has just about everything and as several other have pointed out, it looks and feels a heck ofa lot like nero, which IMO is a very good thing