Setting up Internet

mark_667

I have a DSL connection and would like to know how I should go about setting it up on mandrake 10 (I'm a new user). I have created a connection through the control centre, but cannot find anywhere to input the number to dial the only option like that in the 'managing connections' control is the option to input the IP address, which I don't know. Also, the only way to actually get it to connect is to use the 'monitor connections' panel. I clicked the option to connect on startup, but it does nothing. And when I start the browser I cannot find anything that gives me the option to connect, even when I type in a URL?

Also, there appears to be multiple browsers installed but I cannot find anything that will allow me to remove either of them and mark the one left as a default. I have tried the 'remove software' option, but neither Mozilla nor Konqueror are listed. Although I can find them quite easily in the 'web browsers' menu :wall:

Try as I might Mandrake 10 appears to have been engineered to be indestructible! I cannot find anyway to shut down the system and switch off the computer! There is only a log off button and when I type the command 'poweroff' it shuts down the system processes, etc but still refuses to switch off the PC. (I have resorted to using the three-key restart and shutting it down while it's still doing the memory test in order to do as little damage as possible!) :unsure:

I need to add a button to the taskbar or menu which will do this automatically, if that is possible. Mainly for my own sanity and to stop my family messing up the system by either leaving it to me to do it for them (usually for several hours) or by switching it off manually.

Lastly does anyone know of a good ghosting utility? I know there are a few built-in backup programs, but they don't appear to be able to backup the system and documents so you can exactly restore a system later? Thanks in advance for any help :-)

please help :help:

For the adsl, it's better to let Mandrake set it up automatically. When you are in MCC > Netowrk and COnnections > New Connections. Let Mandrake detect it and set it up and on reboot, it should work. As for the browser, i'm not too sure what you mean setting it as default. I just Firefox or Mozilla. As for the shut down problem, not sure either, but I am pretty sure someone else has an answer for that one.

ACtualy, for the DSL, how you do it depends on the hardware you're using. Some ISP's give you an internal DSL modem, and your computer handles the ADSL connection. In which caqse, as spiedra said, let the mcc set it up for you. Most DSL ISP's in the US however, like mine, give you and free standing internet gateway. They might call it and external DSL modem or a DSL router. In any case, with something like that, you just set up a standard networking connection and connect that way, and mandrake doesn't even need to know that it's an adsl connection.

Browsers. If you're using kde, you can't remove konqueror, it's iuntegrated the way ie is integratedinto windows. It is the same program that serves as your file browser. To choose which one is default, you can find that sort of stuff in the KDe control center. That's NOT the same as the mandrake controll center. go to starmenu>system>configuration>configure your desktop. Not sure how to do it in gnome.

For the shut-off problem, the 'logout' button in the start menu should have three options, end session only, turn off the computer and restart the computer. I fyou log-out menu does not have those three, something is wrong beyond my recconing.

Firstly, the Internet. I've noticed that I have to provide a Microcode

and place it in a certain directory. I downloaded one for my modem

here. and saved it onto floppy. However, although Linux will mount the disk using the command: mnt/floppy (or something like that) when I click the mounted desktop image I cannot get access because what it just mounted 'does not exist'. :unsure: The same goes for if I try to view the file in konqueror. Vee dub: I'm using an external modem, but it is only the one PC connecting to the net do I still need to set it up as a network connection and if so how is this done (I'm more used to setting up network connections with more than one computer :P)? On the next point, OK the browsers stay. On the next point: when you click the log-off button apparantly you should get a few options (including shutdown), but I only get logoff and cancel? Have I configured something wrong or is it the installation? spiedra: thanks for the tip on the session manager I'll look into it and see if I have any luck.

For the shutdown option, you can try this if you use KDE :

Control Center - System Administration - Login Manager (Choose Administrator Mode - Enter the root's password) - Under the tab Shutdown :

- Allow Shutdown - Local - Choose Everybody

- LILO : check the box Show boot options

I'm not under MDK right now so I can not say for sure, but you could give it a try.

For the shutdown option, you can try this if you use KDE :

Control Center - System Administration - Login Manager (Choose Administrator Mode - Enter the root's password) - Under the tab Shutdown :

- Allow Shutdown - Local - Choose Everybody

- LILO : check the box Show boot options

I'm not under MDK right now so I can not say for sure, but you could give it a try.

I have tried this before, but it seems a bit unreliable, it would either revert back or not display the options even if it didn't. I had more luck with the session manager. After changing some options to make the action after logoff 'shutdown' I managed to get a screen with a 'halt' option on it. Clicking this shut down the system, but although it said it was going to powerdown the computer never actually shut down fully, only exited the system. I found that if you run the command 'powerdown' from the terminal this will do the same.

:thanks:

Also, does anyone have any idea of how I'm meant to deal with the microcode (especially when I can't get the floppy to mount properly) does every modem need one and how can I copy it to the required directory if it appears to mount the disk, but then when I try to click the mounted image it says it doesn't exist? What commands should I try?

For shutdown :

System - Configuration - Configure your desktop - System - Login Manager - Administrator Mode (Enter root's password) - Shutdown - Allow Shutdown : Local : Everyone.

I have no idea about microcode.

You should put the diskette on the floppy then right click on the icon and choose open.