dsl in France, Toulouse - SOLVED

TimeTwister

I have sent them an email (in english I know, but my technical french is not eh....the best :)

If you are waiting an answer from Free Telecom, I'm affraid you can wait till the end of your life time :D

You see, they are a little like Mandrake: good technically, cheap, have something like a "community", but consider that if you are not able to see that they are the best by yourself, you are not worth to be there customer :screwy:

Anyway, don't hesitate to give me some translation (be aware my bp is not very high contrary to my latency time :P )

Edited by roland

Once again thanks for all the responses!!

I am looking into the Degroupe Total -anyone who knows how stable/viable it is?

Secondly, if I understand Free.fr correctly, it is not a problem getting Degroupe Total if you do not have a current subscription with Fr. Telecom, correct?

Thirdly, since I live in the 'blue' area (en cours) of Toulouse, Degroupe should be possible?

If there isnt anything I have forgotten, then I can use my landline outlet (?) for the Degroupe....? Or do I need some other socket, e.g. a 45 jacket?

And I get a landline as well, free of charge to other landlines, for a whupping 29.99€? thats nice :)

Once again, thanks for any and all input.

TimeTwister

Roland, timetwister ...

Not like Im hijacking but

my new paris-forum website (ahem) is also discussing this (actually I started the topic in response to this thread)

http://www.paris-forum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16

anyway, Im hoping to get ansers to this and other useful stuff like the best mobile contracts etc.

The site is for Paris but for this sort of thing its probably as useful for any anglophone in France!

Secondly, if I understand Free.fr correctly, it is not a problem getting Degroupe Total if you do not have a current subscription with Fr. Telecom, correct?

wrong: for now the "total degrouping" are only for existing lines :(

http://adsl.free.fr/faq/total.html

[7]  Je n’ai pas encore de ligne France Télécom, je suis en zone dégroupée, et je souhaite souscrire à Free Haut Débit : est-ce possible d’opter d’emblée pour le dégroupage total ?

Non, car à ce stade, l’expérimentation du dégroupage total ne concerne que la migration de lignes existantes, et non la création de lignes nouvelles. C’est pourquoi le test proposé par Free ne s’adresse qu’aux seuls abonnés existants disposant d’un abonnement France Télécom.

Thirdly, since I live in the 'blue' area (en cours) of Toulouse, Degroupe should be possible?

yes

If there isnt anything I have forgotten, then I can use my landline outlet (?) for the Degroupe....? Or do I need some other socket, e.g. a 45 jacket?

the landline outlet is ok, they give only one filter. You need a strait RJ45 wire to connect the FreeBox to your PC on the Ethernet card.

And I get a landline as well, free of charge to other landlines, for a whupping 29.99€? thats nice :)

.... except that you can't have total degrouping right now :(

Did you see 9 Telecom ?

I have checked around on the Neuf site and based on this section:

Dois-je résilier mon abonnement avec France Telecom ?

Non, vous ne devez pas résilier directement votre abonnement auprès de France Telecom. Cela risquerait empêcher neuf telecom de vous installer la ligne téléphonique. C'est neuf telecom qui prend contact avec France Telecom et qui demande la résiliation de votre ligne. C'est la réponse de France Telecom qui conditionne la fin de votre abonnement France Telecom. A l'issue de cette opération, vous recevez par la suite une dernière facture France Telecom remboursant l'abonnement facturé terme à échoir (prorata depuis le bimestre précédent) et facturant les communications émises depuis la dernière facture ainsi que les éventuels frais ou engagements que vous pourriez devoir à France Telecom.

it seems like i will need a landline, but it seems somehow that there is a refund involved here...

The reference for this section is here: neuf degroupe total faq

Ok, but so far: the difference between Neuf and Free, is that Free offers a 5 mb line, while Neuf has a 2 mb line, but some sort of refund? Anyone who knows if it is possible to connect with linux (mdk10) with Neuf?

Once again, thanks for all the replies :)

TimeTwister

Short answer is Ive set it up under 9-telecom and its works but you have to jump through some hoops ... like activating it but you need to be online to do this...

In theory you should do it before being cut off else you need to get access elsewhere.. this sets your login and passwd if I remember.

From the extract the refund is based on your half-yearly line rental of which you are reimbursed by france Telecom on your last invoice pro-rata... (of course this is down to France telecom so if there are hidden charges.... you have no comeback on neuf!)

It says whatever you do DONT contact France Telecom to change the line else you might prevent the changeover!

Remember Free has the charge if you do not see the contract out for the full period....

I have a friend just got the 5MB line... so ill ask him after lunch what he thinks.... of Free.

from 9 Telecom

Puis je m'inscrire si je n'ai pas de ligne de téléphone ?

Pour vous inscrire, vous devez disposez d'un abonnement pour votre ligne.

Attention, si votre abonnement France Telecom a moins d'un an alors France Telecom est en droit de vous réclamer les mois restant d'abonnement pour votre ligne à concurrence de 12 mois d'abonnement.

That means you need to have a France Telecom line before you ask for a "total degrouping". Strange but like that. No difference between Free and 9 Telecom there.

Also the price is the same. The bandwidth is 5MB for Free or 2MB if you plug the TV on the FreeBox, 2 MB and no TV yet for 9 Telecom.

May be a better service for 9 Telecom, but it doesn't support Linux officially (afaik) and there portal looks more (too ?) commercial.

Free is number two in France now, I think 9 Telecom is number 3.

Finally, 9 telecom is owned by

them

while Free Telecom is owned by

them

I know the iliad group founder and boss, Xavier Niel, is a maverick currently in prison for proxenitism :o but that's an other story (in fact I think that's a plot from the mine shark currently swimming on the French market)

That was interesting for me too, I think you know all now

bye

roland

To me the only disadvantage of FREE is the charge if you change....

I guess you are also trusting they dont put the price up since you have to pay to get out.

Overall the admin fee isnt huge and would probably be worth it even if you just use it for a year....

Its really hard finding stuff like this in another language becuase of all the fine print.

Nope the one I did for a friend was a conversion from france telecom. (Wanadoo)

They did two modems, a USB and an ethernet one.

I would stay well away from the USB ones...

It might work now with their service but what with the next kernel or MDK 11 or a different ISP... etc.

ethernet is always going to work and the better modems let you change the VCI etc. or autodetect it.

I have the Wanadoo ethernet one but dont use it anymore becuase I swapped it for a belkin wireless router/modem.

The USB can usually be gotten to work but its the messing about every time you upgrade that wears me down!

• 1 month later...

Ok people. I am now the proud owner of a 2 mb line with Neuf, with the neuf box.

However, with mdk 10.1 comm I am not able to connect. I type in my account info when I set internet connection to adsl and free (can only choose 512 and 1024 line under adsl config), so anyone whos got any ideas on what to do?

Kindly regards,

TimeTwister.