Doom 3 is scary!

SoulSe

After wrestling with cd rom drives and dealing with some weirdness, I finally got Doom 3 running tonight with Cedega after two hours. Once the Linux client comes out, I will buy it and go native.

God, am I spooked now! :devil:

I usually handle scary movies, etc. pretty well. But this game captures you in a way I haven't experienced before. I think I'm in for some serious nightmares tonight :o

Ok, so it's not thaaaat bad. But still pretty impressive. This game was so worth the wait. Now I just need to muster up the guts to play again...

Any news on when the Linux client will be available?

:devil: :o

Edited by SoulSe

I hope you have suround sound

And don't forget to turn the lights out...

No surround sound - never seen the point really. It's impressive for a while, but not worth the money IMHO.

I do however play in a dark loft... kinda like an amandoned factory as times. Gotta love that :thumbs:

Oh, and while we're at it, I must give Transgaming a 10/10 for having this title working with Cedega on the day it was released.

:thanks: Transgaming!

They say will stop supporting it once the native client is released. :headbang:

I'm only about an hour into it myself, and think its pretty decent. i think

its pretty creepy as well! At this point I prefer UT2004 though, but that

could change as I play more. As for a linux version, from what I've read

there won't be one, just an installer you can download, like UT2004. I

could be wrong on that too!

Jason

Edited by kungfooya

I hope you have suround sound

And don't forget to turn the lights out...

I do however play in a dark loft... kinda like an amandoned factory as times. Gotta love that :thumbs:

Come on, at least be honest about why you are doing that:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20040823

:D

for what its worth, doom³ is a stupid game, after 30 minutes of playing, I wasn't scared, it just felt like another shooter, like Far cry or something, it really disappointed my, I hope that hl² will be better

Uh... you make it sound like you played the game to be scared and then decided it was stupid because you weren't (scared)?

Oh well, either you like it or you don't. As a FPS it might be a little behind other modern titles in the way it's played, but it makes up for that in look and feel and solid addictive gameplay.

It is more than decent and I think it rocks. I hated Half Life - really bad FPS and I expect HF2 will suck even more from what I've seen, that's just my opinion. There's no feeling to the weapons in half life, it's too complicated as an FPS... it's just... boring.

Anyway, I grew up with ID and they'll always be the best when it comes to FPS IMHO.

Each to their own... to be honest though, Doom 3 isn't AS scary as everyone makes it out to be, but it is certainly the scariest game I've ever played - and I don't play it to be scared, but because it's a good game. I like the dark feel to it, the graphics are really good, but what I love most is that IT DOESN'T CENTRE AROUND MULTIPLAYER GAMES! Yay! Finally we have another FPS that has a story! With a plot! Just like the good old days...

Edited by SoulSe

no, I want a game that's original, yes you say it has a story, like the good old days, but like doom you have a dozen of games in the genre, I expected the game would scare me, and I would maybe like it that way, but it's all so predictable.

But I guess there aren't gonna be very original games in the future, hl², will also be shooter, only game I'm waiting for is s.t.a.l.k.e.r :) :thumbs:

The game is awesome, I decided to load it up under cedega/debian sid last night.

/me don't have a winbox

I joined a server and was the Top Fragger in the first 3 games. I told the people it was my first time playing and then they all quite :o

Some people were just born to FRAG!

:headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

I have

P4 1.8, 512 DDR 266mhz, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb, Kernel 2.6-11, MDK10.0

suppose I run Doom3 from Blackbox env. what performance can I hope to get?

As I've heard Doom3 takes a LOT of computer power.

edit: imo I better wait for the native linux edition

Edited by solarian

I bought it and I decided I couldn't run it to the fullest (XP 3200+, 512MB Dual Channel, Radeon 9600 Non Pro 128MB) so I put it into the desk until I get a better computer

BTW: I was averaging about 30fps at 800x600 in high quality

All you need is a better graphics card, the rest of your system is fine.