Compaq Armada M700

aRTee

A Good How-TO. I found it easier just to compile everything (including chipset) into the kernel(2.6 and above). I compile in because i don't want module troubles e.g. not loading correct, not loaded in correct order and such.

Found this from the Gentoo Docs:

DRI Driver Features:

http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/dri_driver_features.phtml

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest w-buffer
A Good How-TO. I found it easier just to compile everything (including chipset) into the kernel(2.6 and above). I compile in because i don't want module troubles e.g. not loading correct, not loaded in correct order and such.

I'm not quite sure but pristine Kernel sources dosen't include Mach64 DRI drivers as they still have a few things to fix before they are good enough to be in the kernel tree.

By the way, the mach64 display support on the Graphics section of the kernel config is just plain 2d acceleration for the Framebuffer, DRM (for DRI) drivers are under Character Devices by the way...

I have no doubt you are correct. In the Caracter Devices Section:

The following cards have drivers in the 2.6 kernel:

3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+ - 3dfx Banshee or Voodoo3 (or later)

3dlabs GMX 2000 - old gamma driver

ATI Rage 128 - ATI Rage 128 graphics card

ATI Radeon - ATI Radeon graphics card both PCI and AGP versions

Matrox g200/g400 - Matrox G200, G400 or G450

SiS video cards - SiS 630 or compatible video chipset

I have a ATI Mobility M6 LY. Compiled it all in the kernel (ALI/ATI/Radeon) and Direct Rendering works everytime. I got stuck in that no mans land - ATI now has drivers but its post 7000 series (I think 7000)

8500 and up maybe?

Anyway after I started useing the 2.6 kernel I lost Direct Rendering. I tried everything I could find in the Gentoo forums.(first went to 2.6 in Gentoo). Found the answer in the kernel compile. :lol:

Followed the howto to the letter, direct rendering is now on.

BTW should I put 'modprobe mach64' in /etc/rc.local or so? Will figure that out, as soon as I reboot I guess I'll know.

My machine went from 80-90 fps in glxgears to an amazing 127.

My desktop machine does over 3000 fps easily, so in the end it doesn't matter a lot.

What does matter a lot is that I can now strike that point from my 'to fix'-list, so THANK YOU!!! :D

I just can't stand it when some hardware features are not functional under Linux and those on that other OS can use them without problems.

Next step for me: tvout, and external monitor. Well, mostly the tv-out, the external monitor works fine if I have it connected at boot time (another thing I don't like: having to reboot)...

Oh, and the ltwinmodem (which shouldn't be too hard).

For the tvout I'd really like pointers, if you know of any place on the web with more info...

(I just got stuck at the "VBE call failed' message, but that was still on mdk10.0.2, now running 10.1rc1 on the laptop.)

Did I mention that with Mandrake 10.1RC1 acpi is still not working properly?

Oh and it doesn't include tuxracer, so why did I get dri working..? ;)

(must be in contrib)

Anyway, gotta get back to translating some more for Mdk 10.1

Interesting points: I'm translating menu-messages, so I get to see what packages exist and what their description is. Learning a lot more about all available software!

Edit: just rebooted, still dri is on, all ok!

Edited by aRTee

Okay, I've tried everything and it doesn't seem to be working. Here's where I'm at:

1. When I init 5 back into X, my keyboard doesn't work. I restarted the puter and it still didn't work. I then went back into init 3 and followed the same steps, and it happened again. No keyboard. hmmmm.
  2. I can't tell if my DRI is working, as I can't login in X.
  3. I copied my backups over the new installs, but now I get an error about differing versions of the XFree file (yes, I copied the backup over the new one).

What should I do??

Thanks,

Jeremy

I found that by doing an nteractive startup and not enabling keytable, I had a working keyboard. I found this at another forum, but I can't find the link to it. I'll post it when I do.

After I started with my new drivers, I still had no luck. Direct Rendering: No.

I tried adding Load DRI to my XFree-4 file, but then I got an error in /var/log/Xfree.0 that DRI module couldn't be found. My driver is listed as "ati". Is that correct?

Anything else I can do??

Thanks for all your help!

Jeremy

4 words:

acpi hibernate works with mdk 10.1 CE

Haven't installed the ati dri thing yet, but this is much more important to me. ACPI works!! CPU throttling works, I can tell it gets sluggish when I do the request to slow down, and faster when I clock it up.

This is way way better than with 10.0 oe without acpi - even if I don't get dri working...!!

BTW now the laptop also shuts down completely, contrary to with the 10.1rc1 kernel.

jeremy, can you get the 10.1 CE? Then try again...?

I will give the dri a try sometime later, I have some other priorities for now.