Trying to migrate 100% from M$ but....

quartz01

Finally moving from M$ hell to Mandrake 10.0 100% but need to some applications before I do so…

I haven’t used Mandrake yet, but is there a simple program that works similar the M$’s “Paint”, and also is there a free image editor anywhere to use with pictures that come from my digital camera and other images??

Thanks for the help, sorry if it was a noobish question but I am new to linux

Lol i was sure that this was a joke for a minute there ;)

As mentioned Kpaint is good if you want a simple paint program & The Gimp is great for all you photo manipulation needs.

This is realy a wasted reply, but I agree with everyone else. For 'simple' stuff, kpaint is great, as a are the numerous other MS paint type apps out there. And IMNSHO, The GIMP is simply awsome. Far better than photo shop for many things.

I'll make this simple: Linux has an answer to EVERY ONE OF YOUR NEEDS. In many cases, the Linux counterparts to M$ applications are better than the M$ applications. Most apps are KDE-aware or GNOME-aware, so you can even achieve a familiar, uniform "look" accross your desktop and your applications.

Enjoy. It's worth the switch. I only use M$ XP for games . . . . it's good for games. ;-)

-To see some of what's out there, go to: kde-apps.org

-For eye-candy and some very cool/useful little utilites, go to: kde-look.org.

Otherwise, ask around here.

Some of my favourites, for KDE:

-Office/Wordprocessing: OpenOffice, kOffice (I LOVE kWord - not as powerful as openoffice, but frame-based, simple, effective, and very attractive.) You get a complete suite of apps, from painting to presentations, in both OpenOffice and kOfffice.

-Desktop Publishing: Scribus, Kugar is also an option (right?)

-Graphics editing: GIMP (#1), Karbon, Kolourpaint (like mspaint)

-E-mail/address/calendar: Kontact (similar to outlook)

-Video/Music: XMMS (winamp, anyone?), TotemPlayer, Audacity

-text processing/notes: Kate, kWrite, kIle . . . lots more.

- Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox (the best browser out there.) Konqueror is also an option.

There are also a number of COMMERCIAL apps available, such as Maya, and others - I don't remember any more off the top of my head. Alot of the movie Shrek 2, for example, was made with Linux, and Linux is playing quite a role in the 3D design industry.

and lots more I don't know of or haven't mentionerd due to sheer laziness . . . . . . . .

Edited by LTD602