why won't grip encode an mp3 file with lame?

toosh

I'm running Mandrake 10.0 and have all the proper support software

installed to use grip to rip Cd's and then encode them to mp3s.

Now grip has no problem ripping the Cd's, but it won't encode a proper mp3

file. I've used lame at the command line with the exact same values that

are listed in the .grip file and it does a perfect job encoding, so why

won't it work through grip?

I've checked a bunch of similar posts on this group and others and have

yet to find an answer. the only output I get from the encoding step in

grip are mp3 files properly labeled but only 128k in size....

Can you please show us the command line you are feeding grip? It's under configuration -> encode.

You could also try updating / compiling / reinstalling LAME, I remember having some problems with lame rpms in Mandrake.

I recommend feeding lame a -V 4 flag for a relatively high quality, variable bitrate mp3 file.

I also recommend ogg, but I test ipods under Linux and use Stanton Final Scratch for djing, both of which need mp3 files.

from the cmmand line with lame and in grip I've used a simple config:-h -V 0

from the cmd line it works just dandy but from grip it doesn't. I've also installed lame from scratch, not from a mdk rpms..

Ok, firstly - there is nothing wrong with Grip, emulating windows and running windows encoders is stoopid, there are more than enough quality native Linux tools for the job and Grip is one of them.

Secondly, there are wildcards that you need to give Lame in Grip, it's not exactly the same as the command line. Set it to the default lame command and base yours on that. You'll basically be replacing something like -b %b (sorry, not at my computer now) with -h -V 0 - leave the rest of the line intact.

I use Lame and Grip and I have for two years - it works.

Like Soulse says....

plus...

have you giving the full path to lame executable and changed the default extention etc. Does the default directory exist...?

Does it work with .ogg ? (I dont use them either for the same reason as you but if ythey work then it must be the fiddly bits in the grip lame command line. Also perhhaps lame changed the options across versions and grip is supplying invalid options?

Ok, I goofed. In grip I should've had after -V 0 two other args for lame, they being %w and %m. %w being the wav file to encode and %m being the mp3 to encode to. I had assumed these were added to the list of args we specified and that we were only specifying the args related to the encoding process that we wanted. I had over looked this in the grip help pages and some one helped me track this down on another group.

Thanks..

Problem Solved