Debian

Well, I"m a semi-linux newbie and I have never used Debian, I've heard great things about it and I've yet to try it. I've used SuSE, Mandrake, and Red Hat in the past but would like to try debian out due to the port system. I read an article on the Debian-Installer release candidate 1 and it looked very straight foward and seemed to be a great installer. I downloaded it (around 114mb I think) and once the installer was launched I wanted to download the packages via FTP. I have an onboard ethernet connection ( SiS 900 to be exact) but, for some reason my dhcp isn't detected. I have bellsouth fast access dsl connection, so that means it's pppoe. Sorry if this sounds very obvious, but, do you guys know how I would go about getting this to work? Thank you for any help that you can give me, and if you need any more info please ask.

uhh.... is your eth0 recognized by the installer? if not, please give us a hint, what kernel you are running for this. also... if i were you, i would wait till sarge gets "rereleased". they are about to ship the next stable-debian version in some weeks as far as i know.

I had the same problem with it. It recognises eth0 nicely but there seemed to be no pppoe software included in the installer (that I could find). I am also on Bellsouth DSL

That could be me, as I was looking for the Roaring Penguin sofware that I am used to using. Still...

uhh.... is your eth0 recognized by the installer? if not, please give us a hint, what kernel you are running for this. also... if i were you, i would wait till sarge gets "rereleased". they are about to ship the next stable-debian version in some weeks as far as i know.

was there/is htere anything tha tyou did to get around it? if so, please let me know :thanks:

was there/is htere anything tha tyou did to get around it? if so, please let me know

errrm. nope. i had only the old woody installed on my box that didn't work with the new installer, that is: it was not available then (and it was only for one week on my box). i find debian too outdated. :P

• 2 weeks later...
was there/is htere anything tha tyou did to get around it? if so, please let me know

errrm. nope. i had only the old woody installed on my box that didn't work with the new installer, that is: it was not available then (and it was only for one week on my box). i find debian too outdated. :P

Yes, it's outdated if you don't use Sid.

Anyhow, questions like this are easier answered on Debian-specific forums, or in Debian chat rooms on IRC...

A guess would be that you could try getting the rpppoe .deb file and install it from a floppy or something, and see if that works.

For the record, the way I set up my systems is with Woody CD1 using 2.4.x, then once I get the base installed, I set up the networking and then upgrade to Sid and proceed to install whatever I want. Works For Me.