I want to update my kernel to 2.6.8

Guest LiraN

I really dont know howto do it

if any one will explain me about it,what commands to type etc...

and,i want to change the name of it when i do uname -a

kernel_version-mdk < that i want to change

thanks mates.

There re thousands of documents all over the Internet on kernel compiling/upgrading. The most useful of which can be found at The Linux Documentation Project. But here it is, in a nutshell:

The first thing you need to do is download some pristine kernel source from Kernel.org

While that is downloading, find out as much as you can about all the parts in your computer. Especially chipsets. Is your mainboard using VIA or Intel chipsets, etc.?What network card do you have? soundcard? Find all these things out and read up on what you need in the kernel to make them work.

Once you have downloaded the kernel source, untar it to /usr/src/.

Then follow the commands:

$ cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.8/
$ su
-- enter password --
# make mrproper
# make clean
# make menuconfig

At this point you will be presented with a menu where you will tell the kernel exactly what modules your system requires. You need to be super-green on this step, so use google, and read documents to make sure you get everything. Once you have chosen everything and exited (this will save your .config file) do the following:

# make
# make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/  --you might need to mount /boot--

Once the bzImage is in /boot/ you need to configure your bootloader (lilo or grub). I'm not going to cover that here, so you'll have to find out how to do that as well. Search on this forum, use google, or man lilo/grub.

Oh, and keep your old kernel around until you have the new one working, you can tweak your new kernel by repeating the above steps, BUT with ignoring the make mrproper step (this will erase your .config file and you'll have to start over).

Biggest tip: Patience! It'll take a while before you get it right, but the feeling you have once you do will be worth it. Plus, you'll have a pristine vanilla kernel - the purest Linux experience. So take your time, read and learn and tweak your kernel until it rocks.

So, off to google with you ;)

Edited by SoulSe

There is a URPMI command to update the kernel. I prefer this method because you dont have to mess with all the make files and stuff.

If you do not have all of your update sources set up in Mandrake Control Center then you should visit Easy URPMI

Here is a post I found that will explain further: http://mandrakeusers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t15960.html

You can ofcourse start configuring a config from scratch but since you're new to it all I doubt you'll have a working kernel soon. I think you will be better of with a working config (Mandrake comes with one in /boot) and edit that one. Only touch the parts you understand and it shouldn't be that hard. (make xconfig, <open /boot/config>

Another tip: look at the lsmod output and see what modules are loaded. Make sure you build each one of those with the new kernel :)

Good luck

if you are referrring to a vanilla kernel from kernel.org......

-running a mandrake 2.6 kernel, su to root;

cd

cp -f /proc/config.gz ~/

gunzip config.gz

cd /usr/src

mv -f linux linuxOLD

wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2....x-2.6.8.tar.bz2

tar -xjf linux-2.6.8.tar.bz2

cp ~/config linux-2.6.8/config

make mrproper

make

make modules_install

make install

Note: make mrproper does make clean, and make, makes the menu. When I did 2.6.7 and did make install, it setup the bootloader and the linux symlink as well. The mandrake config will be parsed and all the extra patched elements will be taken out.

I do not lke the new setup of answering questions with make, but it's a lot easier for n00bs I guess. The kernel is back compat, so you can still do it the old way running every command, except make dep.

Edited by bvc

• 3 weeks later...

I just compiled a kenel and the first time that I did it just made everything run better. But right now It's my second time and I'm not getting that performance I was getting before :( but ac_dispatcher is working hard I guess to make it work again....Or at least I think so ;).

I thought it would be harder but it's not it's quite simple if you know your way around Linux.

-Luis

I just compiled a kenel and the first time that I did it just made everything run better.  But right now It's my second time and I'm not getting that performance I was getting before :( but ac_dispatcher is working hard I guess to make it work again....Or at least I think so ;).

I thought it would be harder but it's not it's quite simple if you know your way around Linux.

-Luis

I agree, you just have to think logical and everything will run smooth :)

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/soft...tunesystem.html

Here are some tips to tune your system.

Good luck

Thanks for the link look very very good. Have you tried those tune ups your self? I would try but I'm scared I might bork my system again :( and I sure don't want that now that I have it running so cool and good. I'll try in a few weeks or so, hopefully this post won't be going anywhere :thumbs:

-Luis