Mandrakelinux Default Desktop Discussion

mousematt

Well, for the next we could say something about the wording of mandrake tools. What I mean is: are the sentences and options in Galaxy and MCC clear enough to the end user? Can _everyone_ understand what "This sets the umask for the root user" (a pet peeve of mine from draksec, filed in bugzilla as #6969) means?

We talked a lot about interfase simplicity, cleanliness and beauty. But I notice we didn't say much about how Mandrake Linux is "written". The clarity of the phrases and sentences used. The compliance with HIGs (human interface guidelines). Any comments? Should we start a new thread?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Special Update

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this discussion. The sheer volume of information this thread has generated (160+ posts) has created another daunting task: I need to synthesize this thread into something a company will have time to read... It's slow and hard work but I'm making progress.... between essays on inflation targeting, trade complementarity and macro-policy frameworks :P

A discussion about this thread will be in the next issue of MandrakeMag. My submission to Mandrakesoft and their subsequent replies will be published on the website when they happen... I will certainly keep you all posted. Hopefully the results of endeavours will be included in Mandrakelinux 10.2

I would be very interested in discussing further usability and configuration options for the default Mandrakelinux desktop: please start another thread... I will certainly pay attention.

:offtopic: There seems to be a lot of noise floating around this board about administrative conflicts and other peripheral problems. I am so glad that this thread was active, interesting and on-topic. I would particularly like to thank Arctic, Adrianovaroli and DarkElve for keeping this discussion going and the great ideas flowing... :thanks:

MandrakeMag will be starting a number of workbench projects on this board. I hope you all can continue to contribute. Also, if anyone would like to contribute to the next issue of MandrakeMag, the deadline is this Friday. Please email or PM me if you would like to contribute. I welcome all submissions.

• 2 weeks later...

bvc was that self-description or a request for your next birthday? :P

Seriosuly, I like GNOME - I use it on my ubuntu iBook. Although, this thread is about Mandrake's default desktop - which is KDE :-)

Of course, you know that and are just being a playful GTK zealot... Thanks for the comment... we now return you to your regular flamewar....

KDE!!! KDE!!!

Seriosuly, I like GNOME - I use it on my ubuntu iBook. Although, this thread is about Mandrake's default desktop - which is KDE :-)

discussion of mandrakes default desktop could/should easily include 'which' de. The fact is, kde being mandrakes default de is one of the few things that sets it apart from other distros, except suse. One can't help but wonder why ;) That's not likely to change unfortunately. Like using lilo instead of grub by default, mandrake is not into getting hip :P That would destroy them, as their new user base that keeps them afloat is unsuspecting windozer's that fall for the club thinking they are getting something extra, and pay for CE :P

Carry on! :thumbs:

actually, the de question could be included, but it is not our job to say use gnome/kde/??? as default.

I think you have to keep in mind that mandrake wants to lure customers away from microsoft. thus they choose kde, because it is a bit more like windows in its feel and can be changed easily to look like windows without downloading some extra-stuff.

gnome is great, but i do know by experience that many windows users get lost if confronted with a gnome-dektop. don't ask me why this is so... i don't have an answer... maybe they all got brainwashed and forgot what "brain" is. :P