Mandrakelinux Default Desktop Discussion

mousematt

perhaps whats needed are desktops by function

very good idea. after installing the system, instead of simply asking "ya wanna have kde or gnome as default?", there should be a selection for type of box you will run as default. this can also save a lot of time for admins and home users alike. :)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course we hit the same work/home barrier again....

Then we end up with the Gnome vs KDe thing...

However they are at least closing this gap... so perhaps whats needed are desktops by function ? 

This thread should not denegrate into GNOME vs KDE simply because we are talking about reconfiguring Mandrake's default desktop. Mandrake is a KDE distro by default. Their default desktop is KDE.

Our challenge is to suggest practical ways the default KDE desktop can be improved. :juggle:

To that end: what apps should be included on a default desktop? I'll comment on this myself shortly. Do all the OpenOffice apps belong or just writer etc?

I still think you need a default desktop per function....

the work default desktop will probably be completely different to the gaming one and multimedia ones....

of course everything is possible but things get crowded which is why Suse works for a professional desktop at work or home office use.

I honestly dont mind KDE or Gnome myself - I just aint used gnome in a while!

.. what might be more useful is a better integration with 'alternative' DM/WM and ability to change them.... and like someone else said those mandrake links are pretty useless. Better group em together so not as to lose the user....

Id rather see the kdelook.org links etc, than tons of Mandrake links becuase being brutally honest.... 1-2 would be enough...

Easy URPMI/PLF and MUB would be more useful for the average user...

especially if the MUB one is labelled help..... :D

okay, how about this aproach?

1. one kde-default desktop for the home user (more eye-candy or multimedia stuff, some other apps/links by default) and one kde-default for business (less eye candy, concentrates on productivity, not that much eye catching stuff)? at first startup of the kde-deskto, there could be a selection for the one or the other. right?

2. openoffice: i think there should be an icon, as seen in previous ion-desktop-screenie, which opens up a menu, showing all open office apps. it won't waste space and i am sure that a business desktop should offer all options of openoffice by default.

3. i am currently not at home but will post another new version of desktop soon, trying to create a good mandrake-galaxy wallpaper.

4. a link to this board next to the mandrakesoft links in the web-browser would be a good idea imho.

okay, how about this aproach?

1. one kde-default desktop for the home user (more eye-candy or multimedia stuff, some other apps/links by default) and one kde-default for business (less eye candy, concentrates on productivity, not that much eye catching stuff)? at first startup of the kde-desktop, there could be a selection for the one or the other. right?

I had the same idea and made a mock-up for a default 'KDE business desktop'; I will post my results in the evening.

Edit: I posted 2 screenshots in the Art and design Forum.

Rationale

Okay, I went a little 'off the beaten path' and composed myself a desktop with a specific purpose: the 'KDE business desktop'

See http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act=Att...ype=post&id=984

Included are;

On the desktop:

- Home Folder

- Acrobat Reader

- Kate

- Trashbin

On the panel:

- 'K' menu button (still would want to be able to replace it with a button saying 'menu' though!)

- Home Folder

- OpenOffice

- Konqueror

- Kontact (remember, E-mail, notes, diary, ... is all included in this, so e.g. a separate e-mail icon is not necessary)

- Help button

- Show desktop button

- 2 virtual desktops

- list of 'panels'

- system tray: Klipper, Audio Volume, OpenOffice Quickstarter

- digital clock

A little bit of transparency is applied to differentiate the taskbar from the rest of the desktop and to make the taskbar 'blend more into the background' when a window is maximized (windows rest on top of taskbar)

I meant to keep this as clean and simple as possible. 'Window decorations' are Plastik and 'Style' also Plastik. Icon set is Crystal SVG 1.0

Applications I would include by default:

- Kde-ized ('Krystalized') OpenOffice

- Kontact

- Konqueror

- Acrobat Reader

- Kate

- Kaffeine (video player)

- Noatun (audio player & multimedia player)

- K3B if they possess a CD-writer

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

Why Kate on the desktop? I thought for most professionals it was little more than a basic text editor - that could be used by a select few as an IDE. Great ideas though!

So is notepad/wordpad... do you have any idea how many desk workers regularly use notepad/wordpad for little things like taking notes etc... ? I think almost everyone I know!

I think home desktop is a different beast, since these will *want* (and to be able to) change lots of things on their dekstop. In a business environment, you can't.

For a home desktop, I think probably like Linspire do is a good way: browser, e-mail, chat application icons etc. - often-used little cool things- all on the taskbar. Maybe I'll do another mockup of that today or tomorrow.

Why Kate on the desktop?

okay, some guys need a fast, less bulky wordpad. this is okay, but i think it should be named differently, because Kate won't tell a new user what this does. when i see the icon, this could be either writing notes or my personal information manager (appointments today). so, it should be called e.g. Kate - Wordpad or simply Wordpad or Kate-Texteditor or simply Texteditor or... whaddoiknow. ;)

edit: i am still wondering if adding transparency is so useful. things get less clearly separated imho, thus "hiding" some important things. i think the conrast given by the kicker by default is a useful thing for a business desktop (although i mostly use transparent kickers). but apart from that a nice layout, darkelve. :thumbs:

Edited by arctic

Okay I agree about Kate, erm... Text Editor, erm... Katepad :D ... I kind of did not think of that, an oversight on my part...

Using transparency, as I said, was kind of an 'experiment', a 'bold' move if you wish. You have a point that the contrast is greater, *but* is it important the user sees the taskbar or just the elements on them? If it is important, why don't have 'loose' icons on the desktop have a 'taskbar'? Are the items on the taskbar such as icons to launch applications, show menus, navigate virtual desktops or display a system tray that much related anyway?

My idea is to use transparency in order to draw attention away from the taskbar when a window is maximized (and the taksbar is still visible below the window). I'm not 100% sure if it will have this effect, but I suspect it will have.