what is SCO?

axel_2078

SCO (that the devil has it) is a company that is involved in processes against the Linux, the SCO says that it has left of the code-source of the Kernel of the Linux is of authorship of the SCO, but so far it Idid not obtain to prove nothing.

I know that it processed varies companies whom they move with Linux and Unix I do not know which because I am not interested in actions at law.

Because they are boiled musts, the SCO was the Caldera Linux, does not know because it abandoned the Linux, but heard to say that Unix of the SCO is a nastiness

I begin to learn on Linux this year I never see the Caldera Linux functioning

This is an extremely hard thing to explain, but I'll try.

SCO (Santa Cruz Operations) is suing IBM, claiming that IBM has misappriopriated code into the Linux kernel. You see, IBM has a license from SCO for Unix System V, and SCO was permitted to sell licenses through an agreement with Novell. However, Novell claims to still own the rights, while SCO says the rights to the code were transferred. They are also, basically, saying that they have the rights to any code which is derivative of the Unix System V code that they license to IBM and claim to have the rights (patents wise) to. They say this code has ended up in the Linux kernel, where it doesn't belong.

The problem is, SCO has distributed a Linux distribution in the past. According to the GPL, this means any code SCO claims to be there's that's in the kernel they've already released under the GPL. It's a big mess. There's a lot of things being said on every side, but the basic belief amongst Linux users and many Lawyers who have reviewed the case is that SCO is just trying to stir up trouble and make money off of litigation because their business is failing.

If you want to read lots and lots of stuff about this whole ordeal, go to groklaw.net

Do you think  Bill  has paid SCO to stir up trouble

no, because then, sco would be sooooo rich... it must be the other way round. sco paid gates for his propaganda against linux and now, gates has all the money, sits comfortably in honolulu, watching girls dancing in front of him (the girls are blind btw, otherwise they would get blind immediatly ;)... oh man... gates is ugly... ) while sco has no money left to run their business.

so... gates won't give the money back. with that lot of money he has, he can afford dozens of lawyers who will crush sco. as linux-companies are not yet as rich as microsoft is, sco tries to get the money back by sueing linux-companies. it is easier. and it serves their ultimate goal: to afford more lawyers than microsoft can and thus get their money back in a trial.

... :unsure:

there is still one mayor problem... the sco-guys are less intelligent than potatoes. :lol:

Edited by arctic