cd burner won't burn!

Guest organicorange

Guest organicorange

Hi! I installed Mandrake 10.0 and I am having a problem with my cd burner. It is an Iomega Zip 650 read/write external drive with write speed at only 4X (slow but does the job...) at least it did the job in Windows.... Well, I tried to burn a cd and it came up with an error saying it could not continue because it could not find the cdrdao driver.... however, I KNOW that the driver is installed. Not only did I check the driver details (as it told me to) I went to the RMP file and installed it again and it told me everything was already installed.

Is it not pointed to the correct directory or something when it looks for it? Could anyone please tell me what directory it is in so I can search there? That would be AWESOME! Or if cdrdao is not supported by my kernal (I'll have to look next time, but I am just out the door - it's the first one (alt0) when you are installing Mandrake 10.0). Hope I make sense. Ultra newbie here.... thanks for any help anyone can offer.... ^.^

Yes, it is a permission issue that I've had as well. You could do what illogic-al said.

1. Check to know you belong to which group or add you to a group, eg. "cdwriter" (Control Center - Configure Your Computer - System - Users & Groups)

2. Open k3b and run k3bsetup

3. In the box "Burning group' (the first box at the top of the window) type the name of the group to which you belong, eg. "cdwriter"

4. Click apply button and OK. K3B should work.

Hope this helps

Edited by dmkh

Guest organicorange

Hi! Well, it says that chmod +x /usr/bin/cdrdao and chmod +s /usr/bin/cdrdao don't exist..... :*( . And I tried to set the permissions by first setting my user as being part of the cdwrite group and then doing the K3b setup to allow me to be a part of that group .. yada yada ...(what dmkh told me to do). And I am running K3b and it didn't configure on it's own. :(. It still cannot find cdrdao and won't let me burn.

This is probably part of the bigger picture though. Everytime I load a cdr in the drive, it doesn't recodnise it as one and thinks it is just a regular cdrom disk. I try loading it yet it still only sees a cdrom disk (not one I can write on). So, I force it, and it starts, but that's when it stops and says it can't find the proper driver... does anyone know how I can fix this? I know that these are blank writable disks, totally unused. Do I have to 'prepare' the disks somehow? Hmm.. thanks for everyone's help so far but please please help me work this headache out!....grr

Guest organicorange

I did urpmi cdrdao and it says everything is already installed. I accidently did not put a space with the chmod +x... before so this time when I put the space, instead of telling me it didn't exist, it told me that there were too few arguments. It gave me the option of typing chmod --help, and I did that to see if I could figure it out, but I didn't know where to begin. :*( (I was in root too) Ugh..... so frustrating! thanks for your help though. Any more ideas???

Let's verify your setting :

Launch k3b (ignore the message about cdrdao and cdrecord) - Open k3b configure (not k3b setup) - Click on "Device" to see if your burner is correctly detected by k3b - Then click on "Programs" to see if cdrdao & cdrecord are there and marked with green "V". If not, close k3b.

Open a terminal, log in as *root* and launch k3b then try to burn a CD. If it works your issue is surely a permission one. If it doesn't work it should be a problem of scsi emulation.

Get us updated.

Edited by dmkh