mandrake 10 rc1: KDE not loading and more

Guest ilidz

to preface, i am extremely new to linux, but please humore my ignorence:

here are the problems that i have run into along the way of installing and running mandrake 10 rc1 64 bit edition.

-wireless card not working (could just be drivers)

-sound card problems (only sometimes)

-graphics card problems (ati mobility radeon 9600)

-monitor problems (fixed)

and now im up with a new one, whenever i choose mandrake (in grub) it seems to load it and begins to load kde.... the first time i reboot and try and load up mandrake it seems like it works fine, but when i reboot and try it again it loads to somewhere between 40 and 85% and then gives me what i assume is the splash screen. it stays that way. i do ctrl+alt+f1 and log in as the root and switch back to gui mode and nothing has changed...

here is my computer info:

emachines m6810

video: ati radeon 9600 with 64mb of ram

processor: mobile amd athlon 64

802.11 wireless high-speed (compatible w/ wi-fi 802.11b)

i want to stay with mandrake because i can find more support for it than the other distros and i like the easy install, but im on the verge of giving up on linux and just going for cygwin. please convince me otherwise:

note: iv seen threads about this on other boards but never any good answers...

Since you're new to Linux, I don't suggest going with Mandy 10.1 RC. This is not a stable version so it is going to have a lot of bugs in it since it is still in the testing stage. I would suggest going with Mandy 10 Official. You'll find that version to be really stable and user friendly.

thank you for that suggestion. i realized it was a beta build when i got it, but a friend of mine was adament that i try it. i downloaded the mandrake 10 official build last night and burnt it to a cd but im assuming there is something wrong with the disc because when i ran it the installer wouldnt load into the ram and thus i had some problems. i think i am going to attempt to install fedora core 2 and see how it goes, but even if i get it working i think i'll miss the user friendliness of the mandrake install.

If I recall correctly this is a problem with arts. Sometimes it gets "stuck" on startup and prevents the rest of KDE from starting up. What I usually do to stop this when it occurs is do [ctrl]+[alt]+[f1] then login and do

killall artsd

This kills the process and when you go back to X using [ctrl]+[alt]+[f7] KDE should continue loading. This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the sound device but whatever the reason it's definitely a bug.

Instead artsd should pop up a dialog saying that it cannot start the sound device.

In any case I agree with Speidra, but since I've found it to be pretty stable (I build kde myself not from mandrake rpms) I'd encourage you to file bug reports on the problems you have.

im definately going to try that. i dont really feel comfertable putting bugs in for this stuff yet because i dont really know how to work with linux and mandrake yet so i cant discern what is a bug and what is just an error i make. ill get back to you once i try out killing the processes and see if it works. i dont really want to have to bother with trying out a different distro, i just want this one to work...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gwbyrd

Hey Ilidz,

Did you make any progress? I've got the same machine and want to install Linux on it. Mandrake is my favorite distribution and I'd love to get any advice of problems to expect/solutions and success stories!

Thanks,

George :)