Dispute over Linux Journal "Best Game" Award 2004

zero0w

Well, she is right. RSS is not a game, as is quite obvious.

As for me, I love my Linux a little more everyday, but this weekend I was looking for good adventures/RPG and first there was not a lot of choice (and NO, I wasn't looking for things like nethack or rogue... how about something like KQ, QFG, Betrayal at Krondor or Morrowind??)... then, when I thought to have found something interesting, it was either still in development or difficult/impossible to install... okay so I got one demo of a space game running, that was it.

I realize there are some games out for Linux, but they are almost all FPS! But even one of those would have been better than nominating RSS. RSS? Hello!? :rolleyes:

On a side note, what language/technology could I use to (try to) start programming 2D adventure games for Linux?

Edited by Darkelve

Betrayal at Krondor

I have this working in DosBox but it is terribly slow. How does yours run (and what are you using to run it? I love that game

From Quote: "How does yours run (and what are you using to run it?"

Re: Windoze :oops:

Edited by Darkelve

Ok, we've gone way offtopic, but for what it's worth: The old sierra titles like KG and QFG work fine on DosBox on both my Linux box and my brother's powerbook.

Also checkout scummvm for old Lucas Arts adventure games like Day of The Tentacle, Monkey Island, etc. (I play them on my ipaq with the Pocket PC Port).

As for RSS winning that award, silly silly silly. Does the game have to be solo-linux to win? Because I would have voted for UT2004...

Darkelve: Tried Neverwinter Nights? It's my favourite RPG and runs natively in Linux.

Darkelve: Tried Neverwinter Nights? It's my favourite RPG and runs natively in Linux.

I tried it under Windoze, but I like Morrowind better actually. NWN is still too much hack&slash to me and the D&D roots (dice-based) are too obvious for my tastes...

How do you get Day of the tentacle running? And Monkey Island? With ScummVM?

Where can you still find these anyway?

I've got 'Beneath a steel sky' and 'Flight of the amazon queen' running on my box, but I finished already... and most adventure games are not much fun playing more than once.

On a related note, would it be possible to get GK1 (gabrield knight 1 - now *that* was a quality game!) running with emulation?

Edited by Darkelve

I do want to know, where I can buy Day of Tenactles and other LucasArts old adventure titles?

We've found some in bargain bins and there are amazing specials at www.lucasarts.com where they sell bundles of old games. A few of them are abandonware though - free for download. Just use google to search for the magic word - 'abandonware'

EDIT: Checkout this amazing bundle: http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/adventure/ - comes with a free cd caddy. And for Monkey Island fans (like me), I recommend the Mega Monkey bundle - http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/spec...nkey_bundle.htm

Nice thing with old games is that you don't need to have a new expensive system and they're cheap cheap.

Edited by SoulSe

I tried it under Windoze, but I like Morrowind better actually. NWN is still too much hack&slash to me and the D&D roots (dice-based) are too obvious for my tastes...

Each to their own. RPGs are too boring without enough hack n slash IMHO. Diablo Two was too basic and Morrowind too complicated. I find NWN to be a perfect balance between the two.

How do you get Day of the tentacle running? And Monkey Island? With ScummVM?

Scummvm. You should be able to get it with urpmi. It's a very basic program to use and pretty self explanatory. I can help you with it if you can't figure it out. It only works for games that use the scumm engine. A few:

- Beneath A Steel Sky

- Sam and Max Hit The Road

- Indinana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

- Day of the Tentacle

- Monkey Island 1 and 2

- Full Throttle

Where can you still find these anyway?

See my previous post...

On a related note, would it be possible to get GK1 (gabrield knight 1 - now *that* was a quality game!) running with emulation?

Should work fine in DosBox, other Sierra titles from the same era do.

Back on the initial topic of this thread, I agree with this article 100%. LJ should be completely embarrassed, I'll certainly never take them seriously again.

Byran Lee's comments were also extremely disappointing (feedback section). Personally I have never found console gaming much fun since my favorite games are RPG/RTS style which fit so much better on the PC as a gaming platform than on consoles. I've yet to find an RPG/RTS game on the PS2 that I've really enjoyed since virtually anytime RPGs hit the console market they are usually watered down 3D 1st person crap. Consoles are great for action or racing games but little else, though possibly that's more related to the market than the technology.

Gamers drives the PC market... and unfortunately until vendors start making more Linux ports (or even better Linux only) games it will always struggle to provide a Windows alternative for the average PC user.