Soundcard

Thorvan

Download it from the Cmedia website? Well okay, thats what I'm doing now ... but even though its only 800kb its going to take a year cause the site seems so dodgey I can't download from it. Nevertheless, I'll let it keep going. It looks like another tar file, which is the same thing that came on the cd. I had a tar on the cd, but you said I didn't need to do that?

Or have I completely misunderstood? Do I have to download OSS from the OSS site?

Can't even get a speed of 0.2Kb/sec at the moment.

Should I just try booting with the 2.6 kernel then? Will that use ALSA or what? I don't understand why I'm using OSS just cause I'm using the 2.4 kernel.

This card was a "no strings attached" kind of deal, I can take it back and say I couldn't get it to work and get a creative one ordered in. For some reason no one keeps creative in bloody stock. But this one should work!

Edited by Thorvan

Okay I eventually got the drivers downloaded from the cmedia site and its just another tar.gz like I got on the CD that came with the card, just a slightly newer version. The readme file seems exactly the same though. The tar file comes with files:

cmpci

cmpci.c

Config.in

Configure.help

Makefile

README

Is that what you're talking about? What do I do with them? I tried following the instructions on the one on the CD and it didn't work, but maybe I did it wrong. Or maybe thats not what you mean at all.

This is turning into a lot of work to get sound, something I can't live without. If I don't have sound I won't be using linux. I just seem to be going in circles.

OSS and ALSA are the basic sound architectures in Linux. They come with the kernel. If you use Linux you use this. On top of that comes the driver for your particaler soundcard/onboard sound chip. On top of that can come mixers. So:

1= ALSA/OSS

2= modules (driver)

3= software mixing/full duplex etc etc etc

Thus first you have to choose what you want to use ALSA or OSS. We have chosen OSS

Second we have to choose what module (driver) we want to use. We base our decision on 2 things: on 1 (in this case thus OSS), and on your soundcard (this case Cmedia). We need an OSS driver for your soundcard. Sometimes there is a choise in modules (drivers). There is an opensource (made by people in their sparetime) or the manufacturer provides one. You can ofcourse pick the one by the manufacturer but the other may work just as well and comes with Mandrake. In that case you just have to load it using the MCC. I suggest you first load the 8x0 driver and check if you have sound. If not build the driver from the manufacturer.

So turn of alsa, load the 8x0 module and you'll have sound.

If that doesn't work you may hit me :D

Good luck

You've still lost me, you may as well be speaking chinese.

The 8x0 driver? the snd-intel8x0 one? Or another one? Its the only one in the list if I click "let me pick any driver". When I goto the sound system and go to turn it on, It says it can't find the device. If I do that it still lists the module as snd-cmipci. It also says that this is the "default" driver for my card. I don't know what to select. I don't know what I'm doing. You will have to tell me exactly what to do, I'm sorry. I still have no sound.

As you can tell I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this, its not worth this much of my time.

Edited by Thorvan

:joker: Wow, you seem to be real upset. Please don't be. It's only a computer....

OK what I suggest you do is let it rest for a day (few days)... go do something else... then read this threat again and write down everything you don't understand.

I'll try then answer your questions. It really isn't that hard (once you understand how sound works in Linux but understanding is of course the hardest part :screwy: )

Edited by devries

Well its working. I have absolutely no idea how or why ... but its working ... All I did was change something in the boot loader, enable acpi (which for the record made using 2.6 impossibly slow to boot and to use once its booted) and .. it worked. After fiddling with kmix a little I have sound ....... again I have no idea why...........

Onto a new question, why does xmms crash when I goto load an mp3?

Oh adn thanks a heap for all your help! I don't know, maybe I did do something you said and I didn't realise it ... I really have absolutely no idea ... I just rebooted and noticed it was able to load it fine ... and it even said it was alsa! So yeah ............... no idea ...........

HAH! Gaim is so much better with sound notification ............

One last thing ( I hope ) is there a way to stop the system queing my sounds? If I'm playing a game or doing osmething that uses the sound, when it eventually stops I get all the other sounds (from gaim for example). How can I stop that n make it happen when its meant to?

Edited by Thorvan

Ah perseverence pays off ...... :D Probably some bug caused the problems.... who knows...

Anyway, if you use KDE try the arts plugin for xmms (it's in PLF I think, change xmms preferences the output settings to the arts plugin)

Good luck

The queing is caused because your soundcard doesn't do hardware mixing so only one application at the time can acces the soundcard. What you need is a mixer. In KDE this is called arts, in gnome I think esd. I don't know gaim very well but maybe somewhere in the settings you can choose soundoutput=arts (or maybe its compiled with arts support). Else you can start it with 'artsdsp gaim' (type it in a console) and that will take care of the queing. Same goes for other apps/games.

Edited by devries

Thanks mate, your a champ. Gaim had a built in option to turn it to Arts so it works sweet now. One thing though, when I am playing an mp3, for example, and goto play a flash game with firefox the sound works fine if I start firefox with artsdsp up front, I don't know if thats how you do it or not? Anyway, the sound is delayed somewhat ... Is that just arts way of doing things, and theres no way to change that? Or is there an option somewhere to decrease that delay?

Uhhh I just got a message saying artsdsp crashed, and now all the arts app's dont have sound unless I switch it back. How to I start her up again?

Edited by Thorvan

The delay you hear is the buffer and you can do something about it :). Go to kde control center (kcontrol), sound and multimedia, soundsystem and use the slide to afjust the buffersize.

Yes.. arts crashing..... Arts is not the most stable of applications. It works pretty well during normal use but when you start 'experimenting' it will crash. A 'reset' (in kcontrol shutting down and activating it again will do the trick (under soundsystem, uncheck<apply> and check<apply> soundsystem activate), or just type killall artsd in a konsole. It will start itself)

:D

Edited by devries