Soundcard

Thorvan

Okay I need some pointers, have a soundcard that came with linux drivers. I can't get them to work. I can post the entire install file if anyone would like, but its a cm8738 card. ALSA has it listed, I try doing what it says on the ALSA page and I can't install the lib or utils packages as it says to, it says it can't find a make or make install and stops. When I follow the direction on the install on the CD it says modprobe: insmod snd-cmipci failed. I may have just followed the instructions wrong or something?

When I put the card in, it removed my old card that didn't work, and detected the new card automatically. Then when it went to start the sound stuff, it said "No soundcards found..." I go into harddrake, and its still listed there.

I try to follow the instructions, but they don't seem to be written in the best english (or maybe its just me ;)). It won't work. Could someone give me a very baby worded run down or some pointers on this card? Thanks in advance.

********************************** README File *************************

STEPS TO BUILD DRIVER

================================================================================

1. Backup the Config.in and Makefile in the sound driver directory

(/usr/src/linux/driver/sound).

The Configure.help provide help when you config driver in step

4, please backup the original one (/usr/src/linux/Document) and

copy this file.

The cmpci is document for the driver in detail, please copy it

to /usr/src/linux/Document/sound so you can refer it. Backup if

there is already one.

2. Extract the tar file by 'tar xvzf cmpci-xx.tar.gz' in the above

directory.

3. Change directory to /usr/src/linux

4. Config cm8338 driver by 'make menuconfig', 'make config' or

'make xconfig' command.

5. Please select Sound Card (CONFIG_SOUND=m) support and CMPCI

driver (CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI=m) as modules. Resident mode not tested.

For driver option, please refer 'DRIVER PARAMETER'

6. Compile the kernel if necessary.

7. Compile the modules by 'make modules'.

8. Install the modules by 'make modules_install'

INSTALL DRIVER

================================================================================

1. Before first time to run the driver, create module dependency by

'depmod -a'

2. To install the driver manually, enter 'modprobe cmpci'.

3. Driver installation for various distributions:

a. Slackware 4.0

Add the 'modprobe cmpci' command in your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

file.so you can start the driver automatically each time booting.

b. Caldera OpenLinux 2.2

Use LISA to load the cmpci module.

c. RedHat 6.0 and S.u.S.E. 6.1

Add following command in /etc/conf.modules:

alias sound cmpci

also visit http://www.cmedia.com.tw for installation instruction.

DRIVER PARAMETER

Some functions for the cm8738 can be configured in Kernel Configuration

or modules parameters. Set these parameters to 1 to enable.

spdif_loop: Enable S/PDIF loop, this route S/PDIF-in to S/PDIF-out

directly.

four_ch: Enable 4 channels mode, rear-out or line-in will output

the same as line-out.

rear_out: Enable this if you have independent rear-out jacket on

your sound card, otherwise line-in will be used as

rear-out.

modem: You will need to set this parameter if you want to use

the HSP modem. You need install the pctel.o, the modem

driver itself.

joystich: Enable joystick. You will need to install Linux joystick

driver.

There is usually no need to compile drivers yourself since Mandrake comes with an up to date selection.

Use the MCC to experiment a bit. I don't know what module you need, but there seems to be some choise. Make sure you have closed any sound app (including kmix) before you use 'config' in the MCC.

Alsa-utils should already be installed on your PC if you use ALSA (urpmi takes care of that).

Good luck

Okay I goto MCC and the options I have are either cmpci or snd-cmipci and I can't get anything with either of them selected. I /sbin/lsmod and snd-cmipci isn't in the list. Should it be? If so how can it be loaded? Or did you mean to fiddle with something else in MCC?

Is ALSA running (under services)? The snd is probably your alsa driver. If you selected this it should start alsa for you but sometimes that doesn't work.

Look under services and start stop alsa and see if you have any errors. Make sure you have closed all sound apps. (look in the list with processes and kill anyting suspicious (only if you get errors when starting stopping alsa ofcourse)

Else do (as root): depmod -ae && modprobe xxxxx (where xx is the module).

Good luck

Okay ... I go into Services and ALSA was stopped, so I go to start it and it says it starts OK but it doesn't start anyway.

Typing that in as root results in: /lib/modules/2.4.25-2mdk/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.o.gz: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva lid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.25-2mdk/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.o.gz faile d

modprobe: insmod snd-cmipci failed

?

Pointers on updating media then urpmi? I'm still getting used to all this stuff.

dmesg says in relation to this particular card C-Media PCI soundcard not found or device busy. It also says Intel ICH soundcard not found or device busy?

I'm running kernel 2.4.

In the log it says C-Media PCI soundcard not found or device busy and then also Intel ICH soundcard not found or device busy. Then alsa: succeeded. Scratch that, got rid of the intel thing.

Edited by Thorvan

Updating media is updating internet repositories like contrib/update etc etc. Or just use the MCC ,software, update :).

Check with lsmod to see if any 8x0 modules are loaded, if there are unload them modprobe -r xxxx

Ok since you're using kernel 2.4 let's not use alsa. Shut down alsa and load with the MCC (not modprobe) the oss module. Check with lsmod if it's loaded. If not do as root, to be sure modprobe -r xxxx and modprobe xxx (where xxx is the module name). Check again with lsmod to see if it succeeded.

Good luck

Also while I'm here the only reason I'm using kernel 2.4 instead of 2.6 is because when I use 2.6 it takes forever and a day to boot, and it doesn't power off the system correctly. 2.4 does?

Its things like these that make me seriously question why I'm even bothering.

Edited by Thorvan

Yes the ALSA service. There is no OSS service, just load the modules and you should be ready to go :) When you can see it when you give lsmod, make sure everything is unmuted and you should be ready to go.

For your bootproblems: open a new threat (and have you tried with noapci an noapic?)

For your rant: because it's fun and builds stamina :D

Okay draksound is what I was playing with before, just via MCC rather than console. I only have two options, both give errors:

[root@localhost davious]# draksound

Doing alsactl to store mixer settings... [ OK ]

Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 1.0.2c): [ OK ]

rmmod: module snd-cmipci is not loaded

Loading sound module (cmpci) Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

/lib/modules/2.4.25-2mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/cmpci.o.gz: init_module: No such device

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.25-2mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/cmpci.o.gz failed

modprobe: insmod cmpci failed

[FAILED]

[root@localhost davious]# draksound

rmmod: module cmpci is not loaded

Starting ALSA version 1.0.2c: (cmipci) [ OK ]

/lib/modules/2.4.25-2mdk/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.o.gz: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.25-2mdk/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.o.gz failed

modprobe: insmod snd-cmipci failed

insmod'ing module snd-cmipci failed at /usr/lib/libDrakX/modules.pm line 85.

You're still trying to load the alsa driver.

There are 2 'sound architectures' for Linux. OSS (the old one used up to kernel 2.4) and alsa (the new default for kernel 2.6). The modules (drivers) for these 2 architecture are not interchangeable. You need thus to load the OSS module for OSS to work.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/210599. It seems you can download the driver from the cards manufacturer site. (but ofcourse first look if Mandrake doesn't have this modules).

<edit some more> Maybe the oss module used for this card is the 8x0?? Check google to find out :)

Almost there :)

Edited by devries