Ryzom

zero0w

According to Linuxgames.com, Linux Magazine had an article covering two open source games: World Forge and Ryzom:

http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback.ph...action=flatview

The game Ryzom has some pretty impressive graphics, check it out:

http://www.ryzom.com/?page=screenshots

EDIT: to fix the link to a better page - LZ

Edited by LiquidZoo

• 1 month later...

Ryzom looks fantastic!!! If they produce a linux client for that, i'm sold!!! Been waiting ages for an RPG to play in linux!!

• 3 months later...

apparently, you have to pay for Ryzom.... and continue paying a subscription fee... how is that open-source?

apparently, you have to pay for Ryzom.... and continue paying a subscription fee... how is that open-source?

Maybe because the source is available to everyone?

Open Source does not mean you can't charge anything.

Free as in speach, not free as in beer, is the motto that applies here, I suppose.

ah yes, the common misconception that open source = "i don't have to pay sh*t for it!"

you're bound to get a few flames aimed in your general direction for that sort of thing ;) (maybe not here).

As darkelve stated, open source != free (cost wise). It simply means you allow people to view, modify, and redistribute the source if they so choose, under the terms of the GPL. So, if you wanna take the code for it, and make your "own version", feel free. But have fun trying to give that version out for free while paying to maintain the servers necessary for an MMORPG ;)

I have noticed a general trend to move games to the MMORPG scene in the last few years. IMHO it might have something to do with this very concept.

It really doesn't matter what sort of copy protection you put on a game, somebody is gonna beat it and then distribute it for free. So, its better for the game company to control who accesses the game through a centralized server. This way, even if someone pirates the game software, they still have to pay for a unique ID in order to play the game.

'Course if you buy the software legally ... and I'm not saying I don't :unsure: ... they get ya coming AND going. Great for business.

I got to admit that they're addictive, I lost a good chunk of my life to Evercrack a few years ago. :jester:

There's my $0.02

Nate