Can't access internet using KPPP, help!!!!

humano457

Hello, after having donwloaded the drivers for mi PCtel hsp56 modem, and after doing everything for them to work, I finally decide to make the last step, connecting through kppp, here is what I did.

Kppp>Configure>Accounts>Tutopia>Authentication>PAP

Kppp>Configure>Device>Modem Device= /dev/ttySL0 Flow control= CRTSCTS Line Termination= CR/LF

Then

I went to console, typed /usr/sbin/slmodemd /dev/slamr0 and Ctrl-C

After that, I pressed connect in KPPP and after pumping the message "Modem Ready" it just stayed for eternity in "Initializing Modem"

I don't know if the following has something to do with it but, when I pressed Query Modem .. it said "Modem Ready", but, in the ATI text boxes show nothing, does it have to do with this problem?

I read something about trying with different combinations of Line Terminations, I tried with CR, LF and CR/LF but, nothing happened, KPPP got stucked for ever.

I also read that it might work if the pre init and post init delay setting but, again, nothing happened.

What could I do? I feel like I'm really close to it, but, I'm missing one piece of the whole puzzle

Thanks!

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

I might get scolded for this, but have yo utried rebooting the pc? Reason I ask is because I had a similar problem when I would disconnect from the net, the modem would just hang, make it impossible to connect until I turned the modem off/on or rebooted pc.

I have a feeling that since it's a PCTel HSP modem (a winmodem), the driver for that modem is not working properly. Have you tried using other dialer such as wvdial to see whether it works?

Also, I'm surprised that the smartlink driver works for PCTel. I thought it only works for lucent agere modems.

Well, thanks for your help but, when I unzipped it and tried to run it, it told me that It was built for a 2.4.x kernel, so I couldn't do anything further.

Another thing bother me, I downloaded a program and when I unzipped it, there were 2 makefile, a makefile.in, and a makefile.am, when I typed in console make or make install, it said "No makefiles", many of the programs I downloaded showed this makefiles, how can I get them to compile??

I also think I found a possible modem for me in this page

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/ricardowongbr/pctel/

Thanks for everything, but, I'm still stucked, please give me a little nudge!

You have to do a ./configure first before the Makefile is created.

Anyway.. I downloaded the kernel 2.6 version of the driver and can't go beyond ./configure so I cannot help you anymore. A lot of winmodem drivers are still not compatible with kernel 2.6

Anyway, ever thinking of downgrading the kernel to 2.4? Mandrake 10 does have kernel 2.4 available.