"System freeze"

Guest Hklevjer

Guest w-buffer
I have installed Mandrake Linux 10 and I have freezes when it runs. I have installed it several times, and once left the installation program on for an hour, and it didn't freeze. But when I'm just working in Mandrake (with whatever program, FireFox, KDE Games, just leave it running doing nothing) it freezes after half an hour or so. Nothing repsonds, not even the mouse.

My system:

Asus A7N8X-X (w/ nForce2 chipset I think).

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

512MB DDR 400Mhz

Saphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

2 HDD's: WD 40GB 8mb 7200rpm + Maxtor 160GB 8mb 7200rpm

Logitech MX510

I hope someone can help? :help:

The problem could be the nforce2 mobo, i happend to have one and mandrake 10.0 will freeze after a while or during "heavy" network traffic, the problem apparently is the onboard LAN adapter which in combination with the "bad" support for the nforce mobo makes it freeze, or so i found on internet.

That keeped me from using mandrake for a while. The problem was the 2.6 kernel, i never managed to compile my self in a way that will work (some times it won't boot, others won't mount the root partitions, no video, no mouse, etc). But finally got a newer kernel working, the problem was now the NVidia drivers that won't load (yes they compile).

Finally the kernel 2.6.8.1 was out and it included AGP support for nForce2 mobos, i gived a shoot and works like a charm, the system has never freezed since then, however to make it work with mandrake you will have to patch the kernel sources with the supermount patch.

If anybody wants to give a try, i maded a patch of suportmount for 2.6.8.1 kernels:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?f...609&atid=557188

This patch is the one i sended to the supermount site.

I have had a lot of usb problems with mandrake and usb - right from 8.2 to 9.2 and now 10.0

Strangely at the same time i stried other distros which did not have the same problems.

Mostly these were sytem problems or once when my phone modem on a serial to usb ftdi cable didnt work on 9.2 whereas it worked on 9.1.

The same problem is there on the 10.0 2.4 kernel, although its not there on the 10.0 2.6 kernel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem :(

I got many lock ups during the installation phase, but instalilng it with less packages allowed me to get by.

But now I have problems in general, random lock ups etc. The only option is to reboot and then even when I force a file system integrity check it usually locks up there. This is a shame because I really like this version of Mandrake (10 Community Release). I've ordered the official version and hopefully this will fix it but I'm doubtful.

My system

Athlon XP 2200

512mb DDR Ram

Nvidia Geforce 4 TI4200

200 GB Western Digital

SB Audigy

Please if anyone has a remedy I would love to hear it. Mandrake 10 worked fine on my old box (it just ran really slow). And yes my mouse is already connected to PS/2.

Why are you doubtful your problem has not been fixed in Mandrake10 Official Edition if it is a Mandrake problem and also what makes you so certain it is a Mandrake problem at all.

When you have such lockup problems during install IT IS ALMOST ALWAYS BECAUSE OF A FAULTY HARDWARE PROBLEM SUCH AS MAINBOARD OR MEMORY and occassionally a CPU. Newness of these components does not preclude them from being the problem. I know this from experience many times. Mainboards replaced 3 times under warranty and memory 4 times under warranty. Symptoms almost always the same.

If you have 2 sticks of memory , try using one at a time or use a copy of KNOPPIX LiveCD to run an active memorytest. If you cannot run Knoppix then you almost certainly have a hardware problem.

John.

Hello chuteboxe. You won't be disappointed with Mandrake10-OE, I can assure you.

Regarding a newish Mainboard. This is an experience I recently had to give you some idea of how hard it can be to resolve a problem.

I had an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe from new. After 4mths use, I would get lockups over a few days and then finally it would not even boot up the BIOS. Sent it back to supplier who then sent it to ASUS Australia who then returned it back to me saying they had carried out a repair (probably re-flashed the BIOS). It worked for 5 days then failed again so I tried persistently again for 10 days, changing every component (buying some and borrowing from other working systems) but still no success. Sent the Board back again. 2weeks later my supplier says the board tested aok and they could not make it NOT work so was returned to me at my cost. I got it back and reinstalled it but it still would not work. I bought an ASUS A7V600-X from the same supplier and I installed it and it worked straight off with absolutely no problems whatsoever . After a successful 4weeks run using EXACTLY all the same original peripherals as with the earlier board and so vindicating all my components, I sent the Original board back again. They tested it again and said it worked aok but this time they sent the service report directly to the Manager of my supplier who rang me immediately he got the report and apologized for the whole debacle that I had been put through and said he would send me a brand new replacement. He was true to his word because next day I received it by Australian Air Express and it was the newer A7N8X-E-Deluxe. I installed it and it has been running flawlessly for the past many months on exactly the original hardware. All the extra hardware that I bought trying to solve the problem has been installed into a new smaller box using the A7V600-E and I have put Windows 2000 Pro on it so my Main system is solely Mandrake and I only dual boot LINUX OSs.

I would like to point out that the response by my supplier was at the Managers instigation only and he said they would replace the board and then they would argue it out with ASUS.

Now this is the kind of supplier I will support. :thumbs:

An aside to the Moderators....Please forgive the following free plug. When companys do good I think we should let everyone know who they are and that not all of them act with the commercial bastardry that is typified by Microsoft:-

Although the company is really relevant only to Australia , the company is

EYO Technologies Pty Ltd and are based in SYDNEY.

I cannot speak highly enough of them and they shame many other businesses. :thanks:

To sum up chuteboxe, because a board is fairly new, you cannot rule it out (or the memory) as the cause of your problem.

I fervently hope yours is a simple solution but good suppliers like EYO make it a dammed side easier.

Cheers and good luck. JOHN

The problem may well be with either the kernel version or the version of xorg you're running (if you're running xorg)

Try either upgrading your kernel to at least 2.6.8 or downgrading xorg (if you're running xorg)

The reason I think this may be the problem is that I had exactly the same issue and one of these things fixed it. There is a bug in the latest version of xorg so it may well be that...

Hi all i am only a newbie so this may not fix your problems.

I have had a Asus A7N8X Deluxe running for about the last ten months now, and for the better part of it it has been a good board. I did experience a lot of lockups when installing and also after installation, i went to linuxquestions.org and they told me to do this and it worked a charm, unfortunatley i don't know how to change this for install so that's a hit or miss affair. in other words i just kept retrying the install until it finished without freezing. I'd also like to agree with Aussiejohn in that when you do get MDK10.0 running the way it is supposed to you won't be dissapointed.

courtesy of Linux24

I think I know the problem. He's got power management conflicts. Mandrake 10 doesn't handle power management software very well.

When you boot up Mandrake 10, it uses Lilo as a boot loader by default. Your boot configuration needs editing, otherwise it will continue locking up randomly, because your motherboard has features that Mandrake's developers didn't code for very well. They need to be turned off.

You need to take the following steps:

1. Access a file called /etc/lilo.conf

2. Find the section in there relevant to your boot image (usually called label=linux)

3. Find the append="" line in that section.

4. Add the following lines with spaces between them and other items:

noapic nolapic

Also, edit the text inline that says apci=ht to say acpi=on

That should do the trick.

5. Run lilo -v from the command line to update the boot record, and you are done. Reboot, and it will stop locking up.

Here is my lilo.conf for you to compare to yours.

quote:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB

label="linux-i686-up-4GB"

root=/dev/hde5

initrd=/boot/initrd-i686-up-4GB.img

append="noapic nolapic hdg=none devfs=mount acpi=on splash=silent"

read-only

That's the one I am booting up. Notice where I added noapic and nolapic, modified acpi=on. Also note that I put in hdg=none. Don't do that unless you have no devices on one IDE channel and your boot up is slow due to a probe for a device there.

I'm surprised you got it to install at all. Mine locked up on the third installation CD every time unless I booted from the installation disks with

linux noapic nolapic

Try that and tell us how it worked.

Edited by 5KIDMA

the post you quoted is rather inaccurate. it has nothing to do with Mandrake code; no Mandrake coders work on the acpi or apic parts of the kernel code. If you have a problem with acpi and apic you'd have the same problem using a stock kernel with those options enabled.

btw, I have the same mobo as aussiejohn - A7N8X-E-DX - and no problems with acpi enabled. One thing that DID give me problems was running at 200MHz FSB, even though my CPU and RAM both should be capable of it. I'd get lockups occasionally playing DVDs, and almost immediately on launching Quake3. I backed it down to 183MHz and everything works fine. This is probably a manifestation of the nforce2 chipset's notoriously flaky memory support - I use cheap Samsung RAM, and the nforce2 has a *lot* of problems with a *lot* of memory sticks.

Are there any differences, except for the appropriate conf file, if I am using GRUB?

I am having the same problem and have pretty much identical hardware to this thread. My freezes are random. During boot, during logon, after logon, and the time after logon before freeze is not consistent. I frozen with multiple apps open, and with none or one open.

I ran FC2 on the same box without any problems. I don't have enough linux experience to start playing with the vid drivers and such but don't want to abandon the distro because I really like it.

System:

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe

Athlon 2800

1024 DDR RAM

MSI V9560 GFX-5600

2x WD 120 GB

(Mandrake installed on 2nd HD on 40GB partition)

No USB devices installed (haven't got that far)

Boot is slow on eth0 (not active, eth1 is) and hde (which I believe is the RAID) but otherwise reconciles.

Regards,

Andrew

2. Find the section in there relevant to your boot image (usually called label=linux)

noapic nolapic

5. Run lilo -v from the command line to update the boot record, and you are done. Reboot, and it will stop locking up.

quote:

root=/dev/hde5

read-only

Try that and tell us how it worked.

don't know, but I'll do it, just in case.

your welcome TOmaz ^_^

havent there been major kernel changes in 2.6 that handle USB devices differently to the 2.4 kernel?

i noticed big system freezes when using a flash card reader on Mdk 10, 2.6 kernel- nothing to do with USB , but it's technically another pluggable "device" - plus there's the cd burning issues with 2.6, so it all points back to the way devices are handled in 2.6....

Edited by kde-head

Guest NewbieDoobieDo

The instructions worked out for me. Previously I would lock up about every hour/hour and a half. As of now my uptime is 4hrs 51mins.

noapic nolapic

quote:

root=/dev/hde5

read-only

That's the one I am booting up. Notice where I added noapic and nolapic, modified acpi=on. Also note that I put in hdg=none. Don't do that unless you have no devices on one IDE channel and your boot up is slow due to a probe for a device there.

I'm surprised you got it to install at all. Mine locked up on the third installation CD every time unless I booted from the installation disks with

linux noapic nolapic

Update : 8hrs 20mins of uptime, still no issues.

Update : 2days 15hrs of uptime, still no issues.

Edited by NewbieDoobieDo