"System freeze"

Guest Hklevjer

Guest Hklevjer

I have installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 on a partition on my disc. On another partition I have Win XP.

My problem is:

After using linux for five minutes or so, the system freezes. I can't use my mouse or anything, so I just have to turn off my computer.

If there's any help, I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop

hi, and welcome. :)

in order to help you, we need some more info on your computer and the install you made. did you format your partition in ext2,3 or reiserfs? what hardware does your comp have? please be as exact as possible. did you encounter any errors while installing? does it also freeze under windows (just in case you have bad ram on board)?

Guest Hklevjer

The first thing I did before installing Mandrake Linux 10.0 was to make a partition in windows, 10GB fat. Then I started installing Mandrake with my cd's, there were three of them, I made a linux fs partition, and alittle scratch disk. Then I installed it, and when it was done with cd 3, it asked for another, but I chose to "not install from this disc"... Seeing it as an option, I thought it wouldn't make any difference..

In XP, I don't have any problems.

My computer:

Dell Inspiron 5100

2.4 GHz Pentium 4

512 Mb RAM

USB Mouse

A 3Com Wireless card (which I haven't yet tried under Linux, but I've always kept it in)

what type of video card do you have?

They come with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 cards.

A shot in the dark perhaps but have you disabled APIC in the boot control panel? I have seen and heard lots of problems with this. I searched Google and didn't find anything usefull. Seems there are a number of people running Linux on this PC with nothing more than the usual issues (no 3d with ATI, winmodem, wireless, etc.).

I hope you get it figured out.

I never could get Mandrake 10.0 Official issue installed on my 2 computers due to freezes during install process or afterward in the few minutes following the first reboot

I got my 4 CD's from Ikarios and checked the CD's read/write quality by copying them on my HD

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed Mandrake Linux 10 and I have freezes when it runs. I have installed it several times, and once left the installation program on for an hour, and it didn't freeze. But when I'm just working in Mandrake (with whatever program, FireFox, KDE Games, just leave it running doing nothing) it freezes after half an hour or so. Nothing repsonds, not even the mouse.

I have tested some things, like installing Mandrake with only KDE, and first removing my Windows partition etc etc.

I checked the CD's for integrity, and it was all fine. The ISO's MD5's were automatically checked by the program, and after data verification it was all OK.

I have found no solution at all, but it might be due to Radeon cards, which I found on some other boards. But I really hope there's a solution.

My system:

Asus A7N8X-X (w/ nForce2 chipset I think).

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

512MB DDR 400Mhz

Saphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

2 HDD's: WD 40GB 8mb 7200rpm + Maxtor 160GB 8mb 7200rpm

Logitech MX510

I hope someone can help? :help:

usually, the ati radeo cards are somewhat tricky and they do lead to system freezes from time to time. you have to keep in mind that the drivers for ati are not really supported if you use the mandrake communitiy edition (because the drivers are commercial ware).

there are several topics in this board with the ati radeo cards. have a look at them (use te search tool on top of page), maybe there is the exact solution for your card-problem. if nothing works in mandrake, i suggest to try other linux-distros as well (there are sooooo many! :)) and i am sure that one of the distros will work for your card... or... buy another card. just kidding. :P

maybe it can help, but last time I had this problem, it was because of my USB mouse. Now that it's in the PS/2 port, everything's fine...

Someone said this exact thing in another thread, but it was regarding a Compaq USB keyboard. Once he replaced it with a PS/2 keyboard, the problem vanished. Does Mandrake have issues with USB devices or something?

I want to thank you very VERY much. To test if some solutions worked, I just let my computer on for the night (and the day if I needed to go to work), and when I looked again after that night or day, it was always frozen (tried about 10 times with different solutions).

But last night I just turned off my computer, put my mouse (Logitech MX510) from USB to PS/2, and booted into Mandrake. It was running for the while night and day, about 24 hours in total, without freezing.

I didn't perform any actions in this time, so it's not a good test, but seeing it froze all other times, I think this problem is now gone (for me).

:thanks:

:woops: Ghil Vertefeuille :woops: