How to Tweak Your Desktop?

darks1dez

uh... well, first of all, you have to decide, which desktop environment you want to tweak/customize. if you want to add some eyecandy to your kde desktop then go to http://www.kde-look.org, for gnome, have a look at http://www.gnome-look.org and http://art.gnome.org. for fluxbox, blackbox, xfce, windowmaker and other, smaller desktop environments, visit http://themes.freshmeat.net/ and http://www.themedepot.org/ . :)

if you want to further tweak your desktop, it can be done with gdesklets or superkaramba and windowmakers like fluxbox, blackbox or fvwm2 can be modified by changing their config-files manually. in order to fin out more on these, i suggest you visit the desktop-relevant homepages first. they do have quite often some howto's attached for configuring the desktops. also search the net for e.g. "fvwm2 manual" and you will find some useful stuff.

:)

I use KDE, What Is GnOme Is it Better Than KDE,,If you havn't Noticed I am VERY new to all of this...I want to Completly Custimize My deskto as I saw On IpHitus Web Site.....I want To know how to add all those extra features.....Plz have patience with me...I do CAREFULLY read what you post Here....so I learn Quickly.... I am Currently Using the Beta Version Of Linux , Is this a good Or bad thing?? Mandrake Linux Ver. 10.01 beta ...I hope this better helps you help me.

Edited by darks1dez

well, using mdk 10.1 beta is imho not the best thing for a beginner in linux, but as long as it doesn't crash or give other serious problems... okay... :P

i suggest you start first, doing some "simpler" customizing with the sites i mentioned above. that way you will get a "feel" for the differents desktop envirnonments and learn to understand how they work. you will find out, which desktop suits you best, which advantages and disadvantages every de has. later on, you will automatically gain enough experience in order to tweak some config-files. :thumbs:

you can look nonetheless e.g. at the config files of blackbox or the like (stored in your home-folder), they are quite simple to understand. just read them and you will find out that colors are defined by their code and that for certain windows or buttons there are some bevel options and gradient-stuff plus lots more.

in order to find out more about gdesklets or superkaramba (this are tools that give you e.g. a calendar + weather + system-info on your desktop), head to their sites (e.g. via google) and read their manuals. once you get an idea how these work, you can start tweaking as much as you like. but don't do it as root, just in case you do something "really stupid" to your system. ;) if you head into further trouble, just search the forum threads and, if necessary, post your problems in here, giving information on what you want to do in which desktop environment. you can also discuss most stuff in musb-chat (link is on top of page). :)

Hello,

I too wanted to change the look of ' Linux ' and it's great because it gives you the options of what you can do, I'm using fluxbox and too me I really have more space to put what ever I want, you can check some of my posts on the " show off your desktop " thread. If you do decide to use fluxbox then I can help you on getting that set up and all the good stuff if you would like, contact me thrue PM or check in at the #musb channel, which you can do by just simply clicking on the chat link at the top of this page :) .

-Luis

In my opinion Gnome is better than KDE, but that is just my opinion and they are both highly customisable. A lot of the cool effects you see our users employing are just the result of hard work (getting different icon sets, etc.)

One of the coolest tools in this regard, however, is gDesklets. So look around and find out more about them.

Edited by tyme

hmm... in my opinion, kde is better than gnome. :lol: okay, let's put aside de-wars.

well, gdeklets has one advantage over superkaramba. first of all, the current superkaramba is a bit buggy (has to be compiled due to line-error again) and it uses more resources than gdesklets. but anyway, i say, don't overestimate the value of these eye-candy things. think twice before adding them to your desktop because EVERY single extra of eye candy will lower your system resources and thus slow your machine down. so, if your comp is not the fastest out there, i would skip these tools (imho they are unnessesary but that is only my opinion and you might probably find them useful ;)).

I've had to move a few posts from this thread for discussion amongst mods/admins, and have also modified a few posts which referenced the moved posts. Those affected will receive pm's.

Please be kind and helpful.