How do I auto load XP with dual boot?

Guest liteoncrasher

Guest liteoncrasher

I just got done installing MDK 10.0 onto my second hdd, a WDC300BB. It seems to be working fine but I want the default configuration for my system to remain booting into XP, on my primary WDC800JB. How do I do this? :unsure:

Thanks.

Guest liteoncrasher

I figured it out. Now I need to be able to create a new directory so I can install Mozilla 1.7.2. Every time I try I get a message saying I can't do it. How do I have to log in to get permission?

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button - and welcome aboard :)]

Mandrake control centre>>>>>>>>boot>>>>>boot loader>>>>click on "next" there, you will see your list of boot options, click on windoze and edit to make it the default.

You mean with booting? That's just simple change in the /etc/lilo.conf

root=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=100
default=windows

Prompt makes it wait for your choice, timeout makes you wait until you make choice, here it is 10 seconds. Default loads Windows.

Then check the rest, mine looks like this:

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.3
 label=gentoo
 read-only
 root=/dev/hda5

other=/dev/hda1
 label=windows

Just make sure the hda's are correct, and the labels. Since default gets it from label. If you put it on like here, Windows. Windows will load after 10 seconds if you make no choice.

It's most likely that Mandrake will create a whole bunch of information in there. While this is basicly all you need.

In your case, I guess Mandrake is on /dev/hdb1 . So make sure you create that correctly.

When you are done, type "/sbin/lilo" in the command line.

NOTE: All should be done as root ofcourse :)

I figured it out.  Now I need to be able to create a new directory so I can install Mozilla 1.7.2.  Every time I try I get a message saying I can't do it.  How do I have to log in to get permission?

on mandrake we install rpms with urpmi.

Since you've installed 10.0 and you're trying to install mozilla 1.7 I doubt this is from an rpm. I'd suggest foregoing the tarball installation and just doing

urpmi mozilla

All software has to be installed as root user though.

For more info on urpmi check pur faq section

It needs a bit of updating but it should get you started :-D