Display too big

darks1dez

:help: I have Recently Installed Linux After 3 weex of asking to how to install it...I messed up 13 cd's Before someone actually told me What I needed to Know...I was Burning the cd's as normal cd's Or Isos...Don't Mimnd me I am Kind Of stoopid when it comes to this kind of stuff. I LOVE LINUX now...I love everything about it....Unfortunetly I dont Know how to yuse it AT ALL, nothing about it, I know that eventually I will Learn Iit....I have a dell Inspiron 9100 with a p4 at 2.8GhZ with a 80GB HD(internal) and 2 External HD one 200 Gb And Another 120 Gb also External../...I have an ATI 9700 display Card.....

Ok this is the Issue, I gave You all that just in case you need to know...I For some rteason I can't see My Whole display....I have to drag My mouse to the sides and up and down to see everything...... What can I do?? :afro::cheeky:

Hope you just mean like in your web browser (konquorer?) when surfing this web page?

If so, open up the mandrake control center (configure your computer... in the "start" menu) or type mcc in a terminal / console. There's an option in there someplace to change your monitor's resolution. Your probally set on 640x480 and need something more like 800x600.

Oh, and welcome to our forum. :D

you can access the relevant thing you need in the following manner:

open a terminal/a console (that is the black-monitor icon), type:

su

then enter the root password

then type:

XFdrake

and select your monitor-resolution settings.

keep in mind that everything you type in a console is case sensitive, so if you type xfdrake, the app won't open. ;)

good luck :thumbs:

Same thing....This Is what Happens... The Desktop IS displayed....But..for some reason...I think the desktop Is too big... For example

I would open a Window....and it would Open But for me to be able to see it complete ly I would Have the Move the mouse up.....and it would Scroll By it,,I mean The Desktop....what do i have to do...?

Have you tried our sugestions yet? I think that will help you out (web browser AND desktop)

System --> Configuration --> Configure Your Computer

A window opens and asks for your root password. Then Mandrake Control Center opens.

Then click on Hardware and then Screen Resolution. You should see choices for 640x480, 800x600, and so on. Click on a larger number there.

If you don't have any larger settings there, you will need to install the proper ATI video driver, which I know nothing about since I use nvidia stuff here.

If you have problems with any window and can't seem to reach some buttons and scrollers... use the ALT button with the left mouse click to move the window around.

Thanx DUdes...I did it...the problem Was that I was configuring it a bit to big... My display is a max of 1280x800 And I was seeting it..to....Ummm??? I forgot....but i do know that it was a lil bit bigger......But since i didn't see that optino In the choices....i chose the nearest One.......Thanx....

?Now.....is it possible for me to take Screenshots??

you can e.g. simply add the icon to your taskbar, thus you can make a screenshot by clicking on the icon.

btw. are your display problems solved? or do you still have some of these or other problems? :bvc: