from MandrakeMove to MandrakeLinux

Guest xinelo

Guest xinelo

Hello everyone!

Being a newbie, I've been trying several distributions to see which one is the easiest one to install and use in my Dell Inspiron 8500: Knoppix, LinEx Debian, Suse 9.1 LiveCD and, finally, MadrakeMove.

I wanted Debian but my knowleadge and time are not enough to install it properly and configure all the hardware in the laptop. But after Debian, I was most impressed with MandrakeMove!! All the others display poorly but the definition with Mandrake was great, and everything seems to work fine.

That is to say that I consider MadrakeLinux as a serious possibility to start using Linux once and for all. But before I'd like to pose some short questions, which I think can be given a straighforward answer (yes or no):

a) Is it possible to install MandrakeMove on my HD, as it can be done with Knoppix?

b ) If yes: MandrakeMove brings KDE, but I prefer Gnome. Could I install it afterwards from the internet?

c) Is there any difference between MandrakeMove and MandrakeLinux?

d) In any of both cases, can I install afterwards any program which is not installed in CD (i.e. Apache, DB servers, etc)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Have a good weekend :)

Xinelo

Edited by xinelo

Just install Mandrake.

Either 9.2 or 10

Both have everything you need including Gnome.

Mandrake move is based on Mandrake9.2 No you can't install Move to your hard drive unless you buy it from Mandrake but PClinuxOS is based on MandrakeMove and has the Install to hard drive option. It even has quite a few newer updates in it.

But if putting something on the hard drive is your eventual purpose just use the 3 cd download of Mandrake 10.

a) Is it possible to install MandrakeMove on my HD, as it can be done with Knoppix?

b ) If yes: MandrakeMove brings KDE, but I prefer Gnome. Could I install it afterwards from the internet?

c) Is there any difference between MandrakeMove and MandrakeLinux?

d) In any of both cases, can I install afterwards any program which is not installed in CD (i.e. Apache, DB servers, etc)?

a> No, not without botching :)

b> No but you can install Gnome with Mandrake.

c> Yes, as Pzatch said, MandrakeMove is based upon Mandrake 9.2 (though there is a v10 version in the mix), the difference between MandrakeMove and Mandrake is primarily the fact that Mandrake has more opions and flexibility and can be installed to your HDD whilst MandrakeMove is built purely to run from CD.

d> Yes with Mandrake, no with MandrakeMove (unless you are using the paid-for version of MandrakeMove with USB-Key support which I believe does allow you to save your settings and install stuff).

Guest xinelo

Hello everyone!

:thanks: very much for your kind replies. They do help me indeed.

It seems that the live CD can't make me happy so I'll go for the complete version, when I get the 3 CDs from someone, so let's be patient :)

Thanks again to all of you.

Cheers, Xinelo

Edited by xinelo