Beta pages from my book

afrosheen

Got to give it a quick once over.  Looks promising.

My first thoughts are it needs a table of contents and maybe a section on the benifits Linux has over the other guys. (Why Linux ?)

What do you intend to do with the book ?

It'll get a TOC and other things later. It's still very early but I wanted to see if it was accurate enough, easy to read through, etc. I hope to hear more (constructive) criticism from you all. Once it's finished, I may have a freely downloadable PDF of the book, wiki-ize it, or publish it. It really depends on how it turns out.

So again, please download and skim through it, suggestions and comments are welcome.

Well, I read it and it reads very good. TOC, I agree, but I think I also miss some visual guidance at times ( *screenshots* :lol: )

Great job!

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button]

• 3 months later...
Guest DrLZRDMN

I would love to contribute to your book and have a few questions. How will you be licencing this book, will you be using an alternative method such as GNUFDL or Creative Commons; or the more traditional copyright? I would rather contribute if I knew that I could and that I might get credit for it. Could there be a wiki? Will the book be published, there are several publishers that do open book such as the No Starch Press. I will submit feedback after recieveing an answer.

I'm only on page 13, because I don't have much time to put into reading this, but I think it is very well written. I do have one suggestion so far and that is to briefly mention that when defragging WinXP (and installing MDK), it is crucial to turn off XP's swapfile, because XP puts it too close to the end of the disk/partition for you to resize the WinXP partition down very much. And, of course, to turn it back on upon the first boot back into XP after installing MDK.

Nice peace of work afrosheen!!! I have become a little less of a noob to linux :D

Here my comments to it. Please regard them as positive gestures to improve your artwork even further.

a. Chapter 1 page 4: You are refering to an install from linux on a windows based machine. However I got a little confused when I got to your second and indeed extremely important step no. 2 defragging before attempting to create a partition from empty space. I would reiterate that it is the second crucial step when moving from windows to linux and creating a partition from empty space.

b. Chapter 1 page 5: I missed a section to explain what I have to do if my piece of hardware is not supported? This would be the ideal spot to refer to this mandrake user board for instance to find additional information and/or assistance. Also my experience is just to give it a try as the generic modules included most likely will work anyhow.

c. Chapter 2 page 6: You explain that root is the lowest level like the roots of a tree. However in the next line you state that directories can be put 'underneath' root. In fact you meant that root is the reversed image from a tree so the root is listed on top, ie we start at the top and go down following the various directories created underneath root.

d. Chapter 2 page 6: You missed a typo here 'staple' is 'stable'

e. Chapter 2 page 9: I missed a section about selecting a desktop. I learned that various programs i preferred to use afterwards like 'gaim' were included in gnome. My advise would be that if space was no problem to install the gnome desktop as well. Perhaps you could even shed some light on pros and cons to select a desktop.

f. Chapter 3 page 14: You refer to 'What To Do' as part of configuring your KDE desktop. Thusfar I was unable to locate what you were suggesting?

g. Chapter 3 page 14: Another suggestion when using KDE is to include proper microsoft fonts instead of the ugly X11 look alikes. My eyes thank me every day i downloaded and installed the proper ones :wink:

h. Missing: I missed a general trouble shooting section you referred to. I assume that one is still in the making, if not i would certainly include it. Including a reference to this community for instance where users/members devote their time to help others.

• 5 months later...