Sharing internet from WinXP machine to MDK8.2

livatlantis

Hey all! :headbang:

I'm a newb and I just got Mandrake 8.2 setup yesterday on my mahine (not the latest lol). Actually, it's old. P2 334 Mhz, 64MB RAM, 4MB vid. This machine also has Win98 in another partition, which can easily access the internet by lan. Another computer, running Windows XP is sharing the internet connection. It works fine there. Everything is working great in MDK8.2 (even sound!! :D) - expect one. Internet Connection!

Now here's the thing. I want to know how to get my Linux to recieve the internet connection from WinXP. :juggle:

I'm pretty sure the gateway and DNS should be 192.168.0.1 and sub-net mask (whatever that is) should be 255.255.255.0 - but I couldn't get it to set up. :wall:

Could you fellow Mandrake users help me out? - I want to access the internet from Mandrake! :D

(Oh, and sorry if this topic is repeated. Please provide a link to the old topic if there is one :))

Edited by livatlantis

I posted a Simple network setup link in the sticky post at the top of the networking forum - have a look and let us know how you get on. It's meant for mdk10, but should be the same for your version.

Basically, get the settings from the win98 partition - type winipcfg at a DOS command prompt to pull these up.

Once you are happy, you should consider upgrading to mdk 10.0, and I would advise using the Linux box as the connection sharing host, rather than windows...

Chris

Edited by streeter

Thanks streeter!

I'll try all this (Simple networt setup...) and tell you how it's coming :) Again, thanks :).

Here's aonther important detail, While booting Mandrake, while it brings up the lo interface checks for new hardware... It says "Bring up eth0... [FAILED]"

and something about not being able to configure the IP. (I don't know how to view the bootlogs for exact words). That's the only one that shows [FAILED].

My confs were:

IP (of the machine): 198.168.1.2

gateway: 198.168.1.0 (same as DNS)

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Edited by livatlantis