User rights

Linux_Fan

My HDD does not only have Linux partitions but also some Windows partitions. These are two FAT32 and one NTFS (WinXP) partitions. As a user I cannot access these partitions, because it is refused. But as root, of course I have access.

Within LM 9.2 I work with KDE 3.1. How can I change the user rights, so that the user can read/write to those partitions?

Post your /etc/fstab file. Changing permissions on the mount point will not give read/write capabilities on a FAT32 partition; you have to edit fstab for that. NTFS is read only in linux; never attempt to write to an NFFS partition in linux or you will likely trash the filesystem on your NTFS partition. That's why it's set up read only by default.

First, sorry that it took a little before I came with a reaction. I was a couple of day from home.

Here is the fstab file:

/dev/hda7 / reiserfs notail 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda10 /home reiserfs notail 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hda2 /mnt/win_g ntfs ro,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/sda4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda9 /usr reiserfs notail 1 2

/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

Is it not possible to change the userrights concerning read/write rights within KDE? Must one still change one or more text-files within LM 9.2?

Open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# kwrite /etc/fstab

That will bring up fstab in kwrite with root privileges. Kwrite works just like a word processor. For the lines with hda1,5,6 edit the lines by putting "umask=0" in the line like so:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

rinse and repeat for hda5 and hda6. Save the changes when done and close kwrite and the console. Reboot and you should have read/write permissions on those three FAT32 partitions.

To be more precise, the umask=0 thing is what gives you write permission on the partition. You need that to write to a FAT32 partition even as root. To correct the read problem, post the output of:

$ ls -l /mnt

that will tell you what the permissions are for all the directories in /mnt. Your user may not have read permission to those directories but it should have been set up that way by default. It's easy to change from the command line if necessary.

Edited by pmpatrick

Oke here is the output of ls -l /mnt:

[nicky@localhost nicky]$ ls -l /mnt  
total 20  
drwxrwxrwx    0 root     root            0 Aug 23 20:35 cdrom/  
drwxrwxrwx    0 root     root            0 Aug 23 20:35 floppy/  
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root           48 Jan 25  2004 win_c/  
drwxr--r--   32 root     root         8192 Jan  1  1970 win_d/  
drwxr--r--    7 root     root         4096 Jan  1  1970 win_e/  
dr-x------    1 root     root         8192 Aug  1 20:36 win_g/  
drwxrwxrwx    0 root     root            0 Aug 23 20:35 zip/  
[nicky@localhost nicky]$  

Could you also explain what the lines above does mean?

I wonder why there is no GUI-based tool to make the changes,instead of change in command-line mode?

[formatted by spinynorman]

Sorry, that I did not mentioned earlier, but I had already found the properties windows. I set the option for write-access? but without results: when I want select a FAT32 partition I have even no read acces. See the attached snapshot of my system.

I do not know what is set when the write option is selected, but not something that has to do with read/write acces.

post-460-1093197487_thumb.jpg

You have given the user 'root' write acces, not the user <your user name> :) . Most likely <your user name> is member of the group that has write acces to the windows partition so just check the group box.

If that fails change the user from root to your user name. Good luck