Kopete and Yahoo!

a13x

i tried downloading this version of kopete tar:/kopete-0.8.4.tar.gz but i somehow seem to lost it.. i dun even know if im doing it correctly. the problem i had with my previous version was that when i log on, i could not see my ym friends and thats funny. i am online but they cant see me. can someone help me with this coz it's frustrating...

I don't know how to help you but I had the same problem as yours when I accidently deleted my ym friends group. Even after reinstalling kopete, they didn't reappear so I had add them back manually.

Try GAIM, it works well and installing GAIM is simple. If you have GAIM installed already, just update it with the RPM available on their site.

rpm -Uvh "new package name"

Hope this helps

well i tried downloading gaim but there are certain "components" missing and well i freaked out as i got a warning which says that if i do download it, my system might go haywire. gosh!!! it's so hard to do.. even when i manually tried adding my ym frens it doesnt seem to help... i still appear offline to them and they cant receive my msg...Sighhhhhh

Installing Gaim is simple :

1. Install the package provided in your CD :

- Control Center - Software Install (enter your root password) - Type "gaim" - Choose the package (it seems to be the 0.79 version). Exit affer installing the original version.

2. Go to gaim site and download the package for MDK 10 somewhere on your computer (eg. /home/sue/gaim)

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

The newiest version for MDK 10.0 is gaim-0.81-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm

3. Open a terminal and log in as root

$ su (enter your root password)

4. Change to the directory of your newly downloaded package (/home/sue/gaim in this example) by typing

# cd /home/sue/gaim

5. Update gaim by typing

# rpm -Uvh gaim-0.81-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm

# updatedb

# update-menus -v

6. Exit the terminal by typing two time "exit"

Hope this helps

Oh, sorry. Do you mean you could not download files from Internet ?

Edited by dmkh

Gaim is not a problem, though it works excellent for me, now but I still want to install Kopete. I downloaded the latest version of Kopete. 0.8.4 as source. I ran ./configure then make but it stops suddenly with this error:

make[3]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/kopete-0.8.4/kopete/styles'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `MSN.xsl', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/kopete-0.8.4/kopete/styles'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/kopete-0.8.4/kopete'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/kopete-0.8.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am also having this kopete/yahoo messenger problem. I just got version 10.0 a few days ago. Does it not have the newest version of Kopete? I noticed in the hyperlink above, it refrenced to version 10.0. I clicked on the link and it said I don't have access to the server. I'm totally confused. Help!

Edited by axel_2078

The latest version is 0.8.4. You can check your version in About Kopete section.

The post of devries told you how to add a new source to your package manager then to install the package Kopete from this source to your system. For that, you should process as follows :

1. Open a terminal

2. Log in as root by typing "su" (without quotes) then entering the root password

3. Type this line "urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz" (without quote) and press Enter to add this new source.

4. After this source being added, always as root, you can type "urpmi kopete" (without quote) to install kopete. After that you can type "updatedb" to update your database.

I've tried this package and it works well.

Good luck

Edited by dmkh