Media Update Manager

Guest scottietohottie

Guest scottietohottie

Hello

Wondered if this was a common problem or if it was just my itchy fingers

I have just put a clean installation of Mandrake 10 community on my computer which is a 266 dual chips badger.

I accidentally removed CD 3 from media list and found that I could not add it back to the table. I then realised that the reason for this was that I tried to mount the CD while in the manager. So i tried it again this time going out then back in and found that this worked fine. I then decided that pushing most of the buttons would be a good place to start learning, (you know the old favorite if it ain't broke don't fix it, i want to know so how can i get it to break so that i can fix it, type thing).

Well i pushed the update media button and made sure that the disk i was hoping to update was mounted prior to updating and found that my CD 2 would not update. So I thought i'll remove it and add it again it worked for CD 3, but when i tried to do this I could not the error message I keep getting is the one I was getting previous, which said, Error accessing device maybe due to mounting manually, or something close.

Now I can not get my CD 2 back into my media manager. I have not actually tried anything in the shell because i have not used this type of programing since i was about ten.

I am sure there is a boat load of stuff i should have included but hey. If anyone knows a reason would like to know as its quite annoying.

Cheers and Ta

Scott

OK I have half sorted it (I was typing in file:/mnt/cdrom...etc, you no do that). But when i have tried to install the kernal source i keep getting the error saying that the media was m=not mounted properly and that i should try and update it then when i teied to do this i could not do it. Me Well confused..

It should me urpmi.addmedia CD2 removable://mnt/cdrom

For help you an always type --help (urpmi.addmedia --help).

In a console use tab-complete. That is type the first few letters of the name of a program (for example urp) and then hit <tab>. That way it is impossible to make a typo.

Good luck.

depending if you have supermount running or not, makes a difference with how to add a CD source.

if you have a supermount.........

put the CD in the drive, MCC->media manager->add. select "removable media". use the browse button to browse to the CD. give it a name, leave the hd/cz list path blank, click add.

without supermount..........

same method, but after you insert the CD, mount it manually first, then proceed with the other instructions. when done, unmount the CD.

Chris

If you have a fast internet connection (adsl/cable) it wouold be much better to stop using the CDROM medias for rpms... I ALWAYS remove all the cdrom medias after install and then add internet medias. Another way to do that - cop all the RPM folders from the cdroms to your local HD (if you have enough space) and then add them to your urpmi with urpmi.addmedia

Anyway, a great site that has most of the mirrors for mandrake's rpms is http://zarb.org/easyurpmi

Go there and read about it....