3 computers on LAN, Linux can't talk to one

kenton

My network is like this

Hub ---- PC3

| \

PC1 PC2

PC1 is Windows XP Prof w/ SP2 and all newest updates.

PC2 is likewise.

PC3 is MDK 10.

All 3 computers have IP addresses, all 3 can access the internet but one of my Windows boxes Linux can't see. It'll see it in SMB4K but it can't talk to it. The other Windows box is fine, it can talk and mount shares and all that good stuff.

Basically, both Windows computers are pretty much configured identically, but my Linux computer can't access the shares on one of my Windows computers. I checked the firewall, the passwords, pretty much everything. I just get an error that my Linux computer can't connect to my Windows computer. They ping, and my Windows computer has no problem using the Linux printer, basically, it's not a network issue, it's somewhere else.

Linux to Windows 1 -> Works fine.

Linux to Windows 2 -> Windows 2 can access Linux printer/files/etc, Linux can't access Windows.

I have heard SP2 turns the windows firewall on by default, have you tried to disable it? or are you quite sure is set to allow those connections??

Or maybe, are you sure that windows machine is sharing its drives? Can the other windows see those drives? No drives being shared would explain why liinux can see the machine in smb4k but not mount the drives...

I have heard SP2 turns the windows firewall on by default, have you tried to disable it?  or are you quite sure is set to allow those connections??

Or maybe, are you sure that windows machine is sharing its drives? Can the other windows see those drives? No drives being shared would explain why liinux can see the machine in smb4k but not mount the drives...

Just another shot in the dark --

i have this problem pop up with Win boxes all the time. more often than not, i find that the offending PC has somehow had the workgroup name mysteriously migrate from my workgroup name back to the generic "WORKGROUP." that totally messes things up for the Samba client that's looking for something like "MyNet."

Yes, the offending Windows computer had shares properly setup. I was using the proper login and password for the Windows computer, as well. It seems my other Windows computer wasn't seeing it in Network Neighborhood, either. Funny thing was, the offending Windows computer was still able to use network resources (internet/printing.) I popped in my XP Corp CD and reinstalled it, applied SP2, disabled Windows firewall and configured Norton and my Linux computer was finally able to mount shares. In addition, the other Windows computer was able to see the previously offending Windows computer.

All is well.

Yes, the offending Windows computer had shares properly setup.  I was using the proper login and password for the Windows computer, as well.  It seems my other Windows computer wasn't seeing it in Network Neighborhood, either.  Funny thing was, the offending Windows computer was still able to use network resources (internet/printing.)  I popped in my XP Corp CD and reinstalled it, applied SP2, disabled Windows firewall and configured Norton and my Linux computer was finally able to mount shares.  In addition, the other Windows computer was able to see the previously offending Windows computer.

All is well.

Yeah, that sounds like the windows 'magic' we all know about and love... :lol2:

Glad to hear everything is ok now. :headbang:

OK, now that Kenton's problem is solved, I'd like to hijack this thread.

I have a Suse 9.1 box that can't print to an HP Laserjet share on the Windows network. Interestingly, the Win PCs can see the shares on the Linux box, and the Linux box can see all of the shares on the Win network, with the exception of the Laserjet.

Now the really interesting thing is that all of the Windows machines can print to the shared printer, and the Linux box sees the PC that serves as the print server, including all of its shares EXCEPT the printer.

I've tried installing the HP drivers on the SuSe box, printing via Samba, printing via CUPS, you name it.

:wall: